Letters to the Editor: Nov. 3, 2010

Dear Editor,

The fact that students like Bobby Hitt are allowed to write articles like his on the UCard on Nov. 2, 2010 is both off-putting and disgraceful. When a person’s vocabulary is limited to describing UMass employees as “portly” and “fat bald manager” they should be sent back to junior high to learn both class and a new set of vocabulary.

He is an embarrassment to both the Collegian and the entire UMass Amherst community for his lack of respect, taste, intelligence and sense. Bobby, if everyone at UMass is given a discount on their UCard, doesn’t it just mean that everyone pays the same price? And if the discount is just for you, why? So you can continue to insult the UMass staff in pointless and derogatory ways?

Another question that Bobby failed to answer is why the lack of discounts is in itself alarming? Isn’t it common to have a set price for a product everyone at the University needs, and if not, why should some students receive discounts others do not?

While discussing his article with friends on my floor, other strangers walking by stopped in to share how appalled they were by this article. If the Collegian is looking for ed-ops that start a discussion, it’s right here, but only because Bobby’s statements are ridiculous.

Unfortunately, articles like this make students question the necessity and worth of the Collegian. I suggest that in his spare time, instead of chasing around UMass employees looking for the actual purpose of the UCard Bobby takes on another major (may I suggest English so he can learn some) and use it to help him write a sincere apology letter to the UCard Office and the manager he harassed.

Kerry McDonough

——————————-

Dear Editor,

The Colonial Clash was held in the largest football venue in New England and welcomed supporters of both teams to the game. Taking my grandkids there to see the game was to be a family experience. Though we lost I was proud of the efforts of the team, band, cheerleaders and accomplishments the University showed on the message boards.

Though, I was disappointed in the behavior of the ZooMass students seated about me. There were females desperate for attention standing in the isles blocking our view and the male student stripping off his shirt to display his nipple hardware. I was disappointed with the self appointed cheerleader trying to get a cheer going, but for some reason could not remember any of the words. I can only hope it was the intake of beverage that reduced the discourse of students to the right and left of us to four letter epithets. Thankfully when these two groups broke into a brawl security was on the scene to remove them before they anyone else was injured.

Tony and Jackie Kraskouskas