Merrimack stuns Boston College behind Cannata

Courtesy of Merrimack Media Relations
Joe Cannata’s 31 saves lifted Merrimack past the defending national champion Boston College, 4-2, on Saturday night.

Jesse Todd gave the Warriors an early lead, scoring on a power play 4:14 into the game. BC goalkeeper Parker Milner saved Carter Madsen’s backhand shot, but Todd finished the rebound for his first goal of the season.

The Eagles tied the contest on a power play less than five minutes later, with Brian Gibbons firing a rebound past Cannata to knot the score at one apiece.

Shawn Bates’ second collegiate goal helped Merrimack regain the lead in the 16th minute. Kyle Bigos penetrated towards the crease and fired a shot that was saved by Milner. The freshman, however, cleaned up the rebound after it was lost in front of the net.

Joe Cucci provided an insurance goal less than three minutes into the second period, knocking home a Stephane Da Costa rebound on an Eagles power play.

Cam Atkinson cut the margin to 3-2 with 17:12 to play in the game.

Ryan Flanigan responded later in the period to regain Merrimack’s two-goal advantage.

Cannata took over from there, making 15 saves in the third period alone. The junior stoned 70-of-75 shots over the weekend against the Eagles.

BC hosts UMass Lowell on Tuesday and Merrimack visits Providence on Friday.

Bears win in overtime

Spencer Abbott’s breakaway goal in overtime led Maine past Vermont, 2-1, on Saturday night.

Tanner House made the Catamounts pay on the power play, beating goalkeeper Rob Madore six minutes into the second period on an assist from Gustav Nyquist.

Wahsontiio Stacey tied the game on a Vermont power play for his fourth goal of the season. The senior raced onto the ice on a delayed penalty call for a 6-on-4 advantage, knocking his own rebound past Maine goalkeeper Dan Sullivan.

The Black Bears did not wait long to reclaim the lead.

Robby Dee stunned the crowd, scoring with a single second remaining on the clock in the second period. The goal came on another Maine power play, resulting in a 2-1 advantage.

Jack Downing tied the score nine minutes into the third frame on a Vermont two-man advantage. The senior deflected Drew MacKenzie’s shot in midair for his second goal in as many games.

Sullivan made 23 saves in the contest, while Madore totaled 39.

The Black Bears (4-1-2, 2-0 HEA) face off with undefeated BU on Saturday while the Catamounts (0-2-2, 0-1-1 HEA) visit UMass Lowell on Friday night.

BU routs Lowell

Chris Connolly scored the game-winner in Boston University’s 5-1 victory over UMass Lowell on Friday night.

Alex Chiasson gave the Terriers a 1-0 lead late in the first period, set up by a David Warsofsky pass to silence a crowd of 4,120 fans.

BU dominated the second period, scoring three goals before the horn sounded. Corey Trivino found the back of the net four minutes, 15 seconds into the period after Chiasson’s shot ricocheted directly to him after hitting off the boards.

Charlie Coyle and Sahir Gill made it a four-goal advantage, scoring in the sixth and 17th minutes, respectively.

UMass Lowell’s lone goal came with 5:50 left to play in the game as Joe Caveney scored his first goal of the season, assisted by Michael Budd and Josh Holmstrom.

Terriers goalkeeper Kieran Millan was stingy in net, stopping 27-of-28 shot attempts, while the River Hawks’ Marc Boulanger allowed five goals, stopping only 15 shots. Doug Carr replaced the freshman to start the third period, collecting three saves in his efforts.

Boston University remains atop the Hockey East standings, posting a 4-0-1 record in conference play.

The Terriers host Maine this Saturday while UMass Lowell (1-4-2, 1-4-1 HEA) welcomes Vermont on Friday.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].