Terriers, Black bears tie, Henrion leads UNH over River Hawks.

Courtesy of New Hampshire Athletics
John Henrion tallied a goal and an assist as New Hampshire topped UMass Lowell, 2-1, on Saturday.

The sophomore beat River Hawks goalkeeper Doug Carr on a backhanded shot from close range at the 13 minute, 25 second mark in the second period.

Dalton Speelman gave the Wildcats an early advantage, scoring four minutes, 25 seconds into the contest. The forward received the puck from Henrion on the weak side of the defense, netting his fourth goal of the season.

The River Hawks got right back into the game in the second period on a power play.

Shayne Thompson blasted a shot that ricocheted off the post and fell behind UNH goalkeeper Matt DeGirolamo, where Matt Ferreira was there to tap in for the tying score.

UML came inches away from tying the game with less than five minutes remaining in regulation.

Josh Holmstrom snuck a shut under DeGirolamo’s pads, leaving the puck out of sight. The puck rolled out from under his padding seconds after the whistle was blown, stopping an inch short of the line.

Carr was stellar in defeat, registering a career-high 41 saves. DeGirolamo stopped 24-of-25 shots, surrendering only the lone power play goal.

The Wildcats (4-1-2, 2-0-1 Hockey East) host Massachusetts on Friday night, while the River Hawks (2-6-2, 2-6-0 HEA) are off until their Nov. 19 showdown with Merrimack.

Terriers, Black Bears skate to 2-2 draw

Charlie Coyle scored in the closing minutes of regulation to give Boston University a 2-2 tie with Maine on Saturday.

The Black Bears led 2-1 with two minutes to play in the third period, forcing BU to pull goalkeeper Kieran Millan in favor of an extra skater.

David Worsofsky’s shot struck Chris Connolly in the shin, sliding to Joe Pereira at the top of the crease. The senior dished the puck to Coyle, who fired a shot into the back of the net.

The Black Bears trailed, 1-0, heading into the third period, when its offense hit a surge.

Gustav Nyquist tied the affair two minutes, 11 seconds into the frame on assists from Jeff Dimmen and Robby Dee. The junior’s third goal of the season came during a 4-on-4 situation.

UM took the lead four minutes later after Dimmen intercepted a Terriers clearing attempt, firing a shot towards the high post past Millan for the 2-1 advantage.

Both teams failed to capitalize on scoring opportunities in the extra period, ending in a 2-2 draw.

BU (6-0-2, 4-0-2 HEA) begins a home-and-home series with Merrimack on Friday while Maine (4-1-3, 2-0-1 HEA) hosts Northeastern.

Vermont, Providence end in tie

PC overcame a two-goal deficit with a pair of third period scores as the Friars tied Vermont, 3-3.

Connor Brickley gave the Catamounts a 3-1 advantage with two minutes, 11 seconds left to play in the second period. The freshman fired a one-timer past Friars goalkeeper Alex Beaudry on an assist from Kyle Medvec.

PC took control of the third period, scratching and clawing their way back into the game.

Derek Army cut the deficit in half less than three minutes into the period after firing a backhanded attempt past UV goalkeeper Rob Madore.

The score remained 3-2 until the 13 minute, 26 second mark.

PC center Chris Rooney put home Kevin Hart’s rebound for his second goal of the game, capping the incredible Friar comeback.

The Friars could not capitalize on late scoring opportunities, as Ian O’Connor’s breakaway bid was stoned by Madore to preserve the tie. The junior finished with 38 saves for the night, with Beaudry denying 31 shots-on-goal.

PC takes a break from HEA play, as it takes on Alabama-Huntsville on Friday. The Catamounts continue conference play as they host Boston College on Friday night.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].