Butternut squash makes a perfect side for potluck parties

(MCT)

With the holiday season right around the corner, you may already be daydreaming about which foods to make room for on your plate. Between the turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and all those other great sides, it can often be overwhelming. Maybe you like to stick with the classics, like your grandmother’s recipe she has been making since the 40s. Maybe you skip dinner to make room for the plethora of pies at your fingertips. However, you may be missing out on some delicious delights when only sticking to tradition. Bring this dish to a potluck, holiday party or family gathering and you are sure to be crowned the one to inherit all of the generation-old cooking supplies. This recipe is a side dish to go with the main meal, but it will bring anticipation for dessert with its sweet flavor. Even if you are not big into cooking, help your hosts out by showing up with this yummy dish.

For this recipe you will need:
1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
2/3 cup carrots, diced
1 whole Vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
A dash of cinnamon
Canola oil

Instructions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the squash, carrots and onion to the pan. Add oil as necessary to keep the vegetables from burning. Then add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir occasionally. Simmer in a covered skillet on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until the squash is soft enough to easily put a fork through it.

To find more recipes like this, visit Acacia’s blog at justapoorcollegekid.blogspot.com.

Acacia DiCiaccio can be reached at [email protected].