What to do on New Year’s Eve

Courtesy of MCT

New Year’s Eve, also known as the biggest party night of the year, is just around the corner. Why not celebrate in some new ways instead of the usual trip to the Boston bars? Here are several creative ideas for how to say goodbye to 2010.

Hit the Spa – Relax at a spa, such as Elements in Amherst. Treat yourself to a massage, a steam, or even 30 minutes in the public hot tub if you’re daring enough. Got a significant other, or even a friend in need of a soothing evening? Bring him or her, and possibly get a discount.

Masquerade Yourself – Dress up in a costume! Ever heard of the tradition of someone dressing as an elderly man from the previous year fighting someone else dressed as a newborn from the New Year? No? Well, you could always dress as Lady Gaga or Russell Brand for kicks.

Be Vegan for the Day – Choose something to cleanse your system and give your body a fresh beginning. Are your pals itching for a night of Mexican food and margaritas? Go vegan for the night and order a veggie burrito sans cheese. Swap sour cream for extra guacamole and load on the cold vegetables and beans. Ask for brown rice instead of white, and maybe this nutritious meal with help ward off your tequila hangover and get your new year’s resolution to lose weight started off on the right foot.

Go Sledding – Bundle up, grab a sled and head to a local hill for a dose of nostalgia. No sled? Accidentally forget to return your tray at the DC prior to winter break and that will suffice. Before you hit the slopes, fill up a mug of hot cocoa spiked with peppermint schnapps. Adult sledding is so much better.

Try a Brewery – Visit a local brewery and taste-test some homegrown beer with a sampler platter. Amherst Brewing Company not only offers a wide selection of beer, but is also known for its fried pickle appetizer. For a change of scenery, the Northampton Brewery is only about a 20-minute drive from campus. Invite a group of friends along and split the cost of the samples, creating a cheap and hopefully tasty buzz.

BYOB – If you’re too broke or wish to avoid the crowd, bring the taste-test idea to your own home. Invite over a group of friends and have each person pick up a wine they’ve never tried along with their favorite snack food. Chow down while becoming a wine connoisseur.

Donate and Accessorize – Got a big party to attend later and need to attract prospects for that midnight kiss? Go through your closet and weed through items you no longer wear. Bring your pile of discarded garments to a second-hang clothing shop like Plato’s Closet and make a few dollars off your donations. Use that extra cash to purchase funny New Year’s gear such as sparkly glasses and party hats. Tape streamers to yourself and show that you’re clearly the life of the fiesta.

Skip the Resolution – Instead of wracking your brain all day for the perfect improvement to your life, just make a resolution to skip the resolution. Still haven’t shaved off that freshmen 15? Who cares? Feel guilty for having that fifth glass of wine and hitting on your friend’s girlfriend? Don’t. Have your cake and drink it too.

With a list of fabulous options besides hitting the bars and crashing your friend of a friend’s house party, you can stop stressing about New Year’s Eve plans. Pick the activity that appeals most to your needs, or combine several and enjoy an out-of-the-ordinary day.

Kate Evans can be reached at [email protected].