Colin Firth top notch in “The King’s Speech”

(MCT)

With a second world war on the verge of breaking out in Europe and the proliferation of radio in the early 20th century, Great Britain’s royal family can’t avoid the public airwaves. After the elderly King George V (Michael Gambon) passes and his oldest son – the dashing King Edward VIII (Guy Pearce) – abdicates the throne ensnared in scandal, it is up to the stammering Duke of York/George VI (Colin Firth) to steer England through tumultuous times with thoughtful words.

Firth’s nervous stammer was so convincing that when he won the Golden Globe for Best Actor on Sunday, I was biting my nails – anxious that he would flub his acceptance speech. To maintain the character’s speech impediment for two hours was absolutely impressive. Jaw clenched, neck tense, and tongue-tied, the Duke displayed nearly as much difficulty telling his daughters a private bedtime story as he did formally addressing his subjects. All the while, you can’t help but to think, “Spit it out!” as his father put it.

The story picks up with the introduction of Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush), who plays an unorthodox speech therapist who helps the Duke gain control of his tight lips. Ever pithy, Logue’s oft-expressed flippant regard for royalty deeply resonates with American audiences. The first taste of his clever wit, and sometimes playful condescension, takes place at the beginning of his and the Duke’s first meeting. Logue asks the Duke not to smoke in his office. The Duke pompously stammers, “My physicians say it (smoking) relaxes the throat.” Logue matter-of-factly replies, “They’re idiots.” The Duke: “They’ve all been knighted.” Logue: “Makes it official then.”

Although a certain level of movie-magical production must occupy every screenplay, the film can sometimes be hung up on royal titles and court melodrama. Although an important symbol, the British monarchy was a figurehead at this point in history. Still, the majestic couple frequently reminds us “It’s Your Royal Highness, first. Then ‘Sir/Ma’am’ thereafter.” Paying no mind to this, Logue insists on referring to the soon-to-be-King of England as “Bertie,” his family moniker.

On the whole the film is perfectly charming. I’ll admit, the English accents may have something to do with it – particularly the young Queen “Mum” Elizabeth, played by Helena Bonham Carter. (This is one of few films in which I find the British accent charming.) It would have been rewarding as a viewer to witness richer development of Carter’s character, as her presence provides a freshness in every scene in which she appears.

Plot wise, this period piece offers few surprises. It’s a classic underdog tale with the right amount of awkward-innocent swearing to keep the average movie-goer amused. Although interesting and endearing, the relationship between Logue and George VI is formulaic.

Timothy Spall also makes a small, yet well-acted cameo as Winston Churchill. When George VI is required to address or entertain Britain’s nobles and politicians, it is Churchill alone who seems to have faith in the stuttering king – either by disregarding his stammer altogether or by providing words of encouragement. Irony is not lost on the stout historical giant. His curled lips are as much their own person as Michael Jackson’s nose was.

Overall: 3.5 stars out of four. The King’s Speech would be perfect, save its mission to remain inside the box.

Shane Cronin can be reached at [email protected].