ABC may be finding new home

A staple in downtown Amherst for over a decade may be moving.

Amherst Brewing Co., currently located in the center of town on North Pleasant St., may be relocating its restaurant and bar to University Drive.

Senior Planner Jeffrey Bagg confirmed recently to the Daily Hampshire Gazette that the company submitted plans to the Zoning Board of Appeals of Amherst for a special permit to move the business.

On Feb. 10, the owners will seek a special permit during a hearing with the Zoning Board.

If approved, the owners intend to relocate the restaurant to a 20,000 square foot space in the Newmarket Center shopping complex. The space was formerly home to the fitness center Leading Edge, which closed in the fall of 2009. Current businesses in the Newmarket Center include Golden Booty Tanning Resort, University Liquors and The Laundry Club.

The North Pleasant St. location is currently able to hold 213 customers and employees between the main restaurant and bar, an upstairs bar and lounge room, and an outdoor patio. Amherst Brewing Co. opened its doors at this location in 1997, after renovating the space that was formerly a part of the First National Bank.

According to the Gazette’s report, a restaurant and bar attempted to open in this location in 2002, but was not granted a special permit. The business, called H20, was marketed towards college students, and failed to receive enough votes at its hearing due to concerns from citizens living nearby.

Michelle Williams can be reached at [email protected].