Hall Pass checks out for viewers

“Hall Pass” follows the lives of two everyday middle-aged men with beautiful wives who cannot help but gawk at every attractive woman that walks by. After a series of hilarious events that bring the wives to their wits ends, they choose to grant their husbands hall passes – a week off from marriage.

Rick, played by Owen Wilson (“Wedding Crashers”) is married to Maggie, (Jenna Fischer, Pam from “The Office”) and their children have gotten in the way of their intimacy. Meanwhile, Rick’s best friend Fred, played by Jason Sudeikis of “Saturday Night Live,” has gotten into the habit of taking care of himself at night in his van while his wife Grace (Christina Applegate from “Married with Children”) pretends to be asleep.

Despite the over-the-hill plot of the movie, it is relevant and comedic to anyone who can laugh at a well-crafted sex joke. The film undertakes the fantasy that many people in relationships dream about – the chance to be unfaithful to a partner without any consequences. As can be expected, things quickly become complicated and the movie uncovers many different aspects of marriage and faithfulness.

“Hall Pass” is refreshing in it’s notably toned-down humor, which is in no way like the over-the-top slapstick that seems to be the only thing Hollywood cranks out lately to rake in the outrageous ticket prices. Directed by Bobby and Peter Farrelly, “Hall Pass” proves to be a step up from their previous works, such as “Dumb and Dumber” and “Me, Myself & Irene.”

Along with falling-out-of-your-seat laughter, this movie also illustrates a few lessons about relationships. Though it may appear that “Hall Pass” is just another “Hangover,” this movie exceeds expectations when it has the audience still laughing long after the jokes have ended.

“Hall Pass” is not for the easily offended or the strict feminist, however. Complete with crude humor and plenty of nudity, this would definitely not be a movie see with your parents over spring break. Although you would both enjoy the movie’s premise and belly laughs, it would most likely be terribly awkward. This movie points out the typical misunderstandings of marriage, and could be offensive to some women if they can not tolerate stereotypical male humor.

The soundtrack to “Hall Pass” deserves some extra credit. Generally in the comedy genre, soundtracks are rather ignored. However, “Hall Pass” chooses some surprising tracks, including songs by indie artists Deer Tick, Pete Yorn and Akron/Family and Empire of the Sun. This added benefit illustrates that the Farrelly brothers did not merely throw a movie brainlessly to make money at the box office. It is also clear that, through the soundtrack, the Farrelly’s are attempting to connect with the younger, college-aged crowd as well as the middle-aged adults that can relate to the film’s scenario.

“Hall Pass” is a movie worth spending your money on if you are looking to have a good time and induce a lot of laughter. Make sure to sit through the credits, as film’s finale leaves moviegoers with a permanent grin.

Acacia DiCiaccio can be reached at [email protected].