Likealittle.com: Catching the missed connection

♥ The Daily Collegian’s Guide to Valentine’s Day 2011 ♥

As Valentine’s Day approaches, the University of Massachusetts reeks of romance. Students are plucking up the courage to finally confess to their secret crush just in time for the big day. But what if you do not even know the name of the person you have been eyeing?

Students have been logging into the website Likealittle.com to post comments for other students they have seen on campus. Likealittle.com functions as a missed connection website that gives students the opportunity to say things they might not be able to say to another person face-to-face. Catch the eye of that cutie across the Learning Commons? Posting a comment that describes that cutie allows for the possibility that they just might see it – without the fear of rejection that comes from flirting in person.

However, as always with online dating websites, you have to be careful about what kind of information you put out there. Some students have posted specific dorms and room numbers for the person they are trying to reach. Others who are reaching out have posted their own room numbers. While this allows your special someone to find you more easily, it also allows everyone else on the website to find you easily. While you might want your cutie dropping in to say hello, you probably don’t want someone else to drop by uninvited. Unfortunately, there are always going to be dangers surrounding personal information on the Internet, and students should be careful about what they put out there.

That being said, comments posted on the website are often too general for a specific person to realize it is about them. Students can post hair color and describe outfits and list the place that they saw each other, but without specific information it can be difficult to figure out if the poster means you, or some other brunette with a red hoodie outside the library.

What can students to do reach out in a productive way – safely? First, try to refrain from giving room numbers. That gives the opportunity for anyone to drop in.. Instead of giving away your room number, try listing classes where you saw your cutie. That allows you to be found in a room full of people, where it will be much safer to meet up.

If you haven’t seen someone in a class, try posting a meeting place in a crowded area, like the dining commons or the campus center. Try to be as descriptive as possible. What made this person stand out? Did you lock eyes? Say hello? If you do not know their name and are not sure where you will see them again, describe outfits and quirks that made them stand out in your eyes.

So what are students saying about Likealittle.com? Many students have felt it is a cute idea. “I like it,” says UMass student Amresa Beale. “It’s really fun to see if anything is written about you.”
Alexander Weinstein and Rachel Dutton agreed with Beale’s comment, stating “It’s a great idea, but I wonder how often someone would meet someone else.”

Arthur Kell seemed to disagree, claiming “It’s a little weird.” Beale defended herself saying, “It gives me something to do. I don’t mean anything by it, though.”

Whether or not you agree, it is definitely important to be safe when posting on a website such as Likealittle.com; but you should also feel free to post to your heart’s content. Who knows – maybe that girl you saw in library will work up the courage to come say hello.

Lauren Versailles can be reached at [email protected].