Made from scratch: The creation of an RSO

Matthew Harrison/Collegian
Matthew Harrison/Collegian

Editor’s Note: Tyler Langlais’ last name was incorrectly spelled and has been revised.

In just one month, a simple idea can be transformed into a community of goal- oriented individuals with similar interests, a Residential Student Organization (RSO).

In the spring of 2009, UMass senior Ross Zuckerman led the effort to create the UMass Triathlon Club. The process, though compacted into only a few weeks, was complicated and not without adversity.

Zuckerman began competing in triathlons, which involve a foot race, a swimming race and a bicycle race, in the summer of 2009. When he came back to school for his junior year, he was dismayed to find that there had not been a team or club for triathlon participants to train and compete with for several years.

“That’s why I started the club,” Zuckerman said. “It’s easier to train with others.” With a clear goal in sight, Zuckerman went to the Student Government Association (SGA) to begin the journey of creating the UMass Triathlon Club.

Tyler Langlais, the SGA Secretary of the Registry, and Janam Anand, the Associate Secretary, handle the creation of new RSO’s and taking students, like Zuckerman, through the process.

According to Langlais, once a potential RSO contacts him and Anand, they are given a checklist of items that need to be included in the group’s constitution. Along with this, a list of signatures of at least 10 interested students, one to two paragraphs on the groups future plans, and an explanation on why RSO status is necessary must be submitted. “It [the process] was a pain…We looked at the old Triathlon Club’s constitution. We had to update it, because it didn’t account for attending events or having a Facebook page,” Zuckerman said.

“A lot of students don’t realize it’s a serious process,” Anand said.

Then comes the waiting. The potential RSO’s have no choice but to wait, while Langlais and Anand deliberate over whether or not the group will be able to last, and if it truly has a need for RSO status.

According to Langlais, “RSO’s are groups that specifically want funding or space,” as opposed to groups that remain unrecognized by the SGA, because they require neither. The new Triathlon club met the requirements, as they need to practice space and money to attend triathlons that they compete in. An email was sent to Zuckerman when the decision was made.

“It was nice getting that letter after all the work,” Zuckerman said.

Once the new RSO receives official recognition, they begin a month of training sessions with the Center for Student Development (CSD).

“You have to go to a sports one [training session], a campus pulse, a summit, and one or two other electives, and they’re about an hour each,” Zuckerman said. “You can split it up among your officers, but it can be difficult to find officers. I found a guy and we attended all the trainings together. They do help you get a better idea of the system.”

Upon completion of the training, the Triathlon club was notified of their room for meetings. So, Zuckerman and the one other officer prepared for their first meeting.

“Honestly, it was nerve-wracking. You reserve a room and have everything set up, but you don’t know who’s going to show up and what’s going to happen.”

10 people showed up for the Triathlon Club’s first meeting. They laid out exactly who they are, what they do and their future plans.

“The hardest part is after the first meeting, getting members who will pay to be in the club and remain with the club,” Zuckerman said.

It took over a month for the Triathlon Club to get a consistent group to show up, but they did, and the club is going strong still, despite some bumps in the road.

For one, they were not allowed a budget during the first year, which is a rule for all RSO’s. This created a problem for Zuckerman’s club.

“We were told we couldn’t have the pools at all, at first. We had to go to the Finance Committee, so we could hire lifeguards and have the pools for practice,” Zuckerman said. The club finally got time in the pool after Thanksgiving break.

Zuckerman still has to deal with problems from time to time, like keeping up with the paperwork, or making sure he orders shirts from a UMass-endorsed company.

“If they’re enhancing the campus community by existing,” said Langhis, “it’s worth it.”
Alissa Mesibov can be reached for comment at [email protected].