UMass looks to remain unbeaten against BU

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team began the season with two impressive victories, but its perfect record will be put to the test Wednesday when it faces Boston University on the road.

First-year UMass coach Angela McMahon has been content with her team’s fast start, but realized the BU game would be a challenge.

“They’re well coached, they’re always one of the top programs in this area,” McMahon said. “It’s going to be a huge test for ourselves to see where we’re at.”

The Minutewomen have kicked off play this year with victories versus Holy Cross and Vermont.

UMass needed overtime to sneak out a 12-10 win against the Crusaders in their season opener, but had less trouble with Vermont, winning comfortably, 17-9.

Much of the success in the first two games was contingent on UMass’ ability to take advantage of scoring opportunities.

“We haven’t taken a ton of shots but we have been capitalizing on the shots we’ve been taking,” McMahon said.

Through two games, the Minutewomen have gotten off 54 shots and converted them into goals 53.7 percent of the time. To put that number in perspective, last season they converted 43.5 percent of their shots taken.

While Jackie Lyons (five goals, four assists) and Haley Smith (seven goals) have been the offensive stalwarts, McMahon has been pleased with the production of freshmen like Sam Rush and Tanner Guarino.

“Tanner Guarino had a great goal the other day against Vermont, then we had Sam Rush come off the bench and score two goals, which is great to see that people are ready to step in and capitalize,” McMahon said.

The balanced attack doesn’t stop there as nine different Minutewomen found the back of the net in last Saturday’s game against Vermont.

“We’ve definitely been seeing some other people step up which is great for us,” McMahon said. “I’m just really pleased with our balanced team effort, I think that everyone is contributing right now.”

Meanwhile, BU has established itself as one of the most successful women’s lacrosse programs on the East Coast.

Their resume includes nine America East Championships and eight NCAA appearances over the past decade.

In 2010, the Terriers finished at 11-9 and 5-1 in America East play. They advanced to the NCAA tournament after defeating the University of Maryland, Baltimore County for their sixth-straight conference championship. In the NCAA tournament, however, BU fell 14-9 to Penn.

After graduating 10 seniors, 2010 could prove to be a rebuilding year for the Terriers. Not only did BU lose over 50 percent of its scoring, the Terriers also lost six starters from last year’s squad including goalkeeper Rachel Klein.

Despite the massive rollover this season, BU has still been selected as the pre-season favorite to take the America East.

The in-state rivals are no strangers to one another. UMass has opened up for the Terriers eight-straight years. Their last victory for the Minutewomen versus the Terriers dates back to the 2007 season.

Nevertheless, McMahon relishes the opportunity to take on a successful lacrosse program like BU.

“It’s a great test for us to really prove to not only ourselves but everyone else that we deserve to be in the top 20.” McMahon said. “If there’s ever an opportunity to do it tomorrow’s it.”

She had one wish in particular for her team when they battle the Terriers: composure.

“I think composure is going to be key, because they’re very aggressive, very physical and we can’t let that distract us from our game,” McMahon said.

Wednesday’s game will be played at 3 p.m. at Nickerson Field.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at [email protected].