UPDATE: UMass abroad students safe after Japan earthquake

By Herb Scribner

MCT

MCT

An 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Japan at 2:46 p.m. local time, and caused a tsunami to rip apart the islands. Reports from Japan suggest there have been over 100 deaths.

As of 3 p.m. on March 11, the International Programs Office at the University of Massachusetts called every university that could be effected by the earthquake and has reported that all UMass students have been found and are safe.

The earthquake generated a tsunami that sliced through Japan like paper, flooded the streets and destroyed homes. Japanese television displayed the disastrous results of the natural disaster.

Although the epicenter of the earthquake was over 200 miles away from Tokyo, the city still felt 30 aftershocks hours afterwards, one being of 7.1 magnitude.

Tokyo, one the world’s largest cities, became a balance beam as the earthquake caused buildings to sway back and forth.  Japan declared a state of emergency at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, however there have been no radiation leaks.

Tsunami’s won’t be limited to Japan either, as the US National Weather Service issued a tsunami warning for at least 50 countries and territories. This includes even the United States, as Hawaii has been begun preparing for a possible tsunami to reach its shores.

Japan’s earthquake comes a little over a year since the Jan. 12, 2010 earthquake that tore apart Chile.

Stay with Dailycollegian.com as we continue to update this story.

Herb Scribner can be reached at [email protected]

6 Comments

6 Responses to “UPDATE: UMass abroad students safe after Japan earthquake”

1. sean on March 11th, 2011 11:25 am

i like tortles!!

2. Rob on March 11th, 2011 1:45 pm

What awkward word choice. The earthquake inspired the tsunami?

Earthquake: “You can do it tsunami! I have faith in you!”

3. Chameka on March 11th, 2011 2:46 pm

This has been a remarkable time to witness such distress as the planet reaches it’s depth for human life although we will care for each and every life form we must some how heal and draw on to a greater strength that we will be able to rebuild and repair.

4. Tarah on March 11th, 2011 3:10 pm

check our the devastating CNN breaking news site. Thoughts and prayers to all families in Japan and affected surrounding areas

Hausers.

5. auriofrias on March 11th, 2011 8:29 pm

it is heartbreaking…our prayer for the victims.

6. Scott on March 13th, 2011 8:43 pm

Chile?? you mean Haiti

the earthquake in Chile happened on the 27th of Feb