Crime Log: Feb. 24 – March 1

Thursday, Feb. 24

At 11:35 a.m., officers received a report from an individual who said that they were a victim of fraud. According to a UMPD police report, the victim had received several statements from their credit card company pertaining to an account in their name that they had no knowledge of opening. This led the individual to believe that someone had illegally opened an account in their name. The statements received thus far indicated fraudulent spending activity amounting to over $1,600. An investigation has been launched by detectives to identify the suspect.

At 11:40 a.m., police took a report of larceny from a victim who claimed that someone had stolen a bag that had been left unattended in Bartlett Hall for 15 minutes the previous Friday. The bag allegedly contained approximately 30 pills of the prescription drug Adderall. Anyone who saw anything suspicious is asked to contact UMPD.

At 12:38 p.m., officers responded to the Isenberg School of Management for a report of vandalism. Upon arrival, the reporting party showed officers a urinal that had signs of damage, as though someone had tried to rip it off the wall. In addition, blood found on the urinal in question appeared to indicate that the perpetrator had sustained an injury in committing the vandalism. A call to University Health Services (UHS) found no evidence of anyone with such injuries seeking services, as officers were informed UHS had not recently received any patients with lacerations. The investigation is ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to contact UMPD.

At 1:59 p.m., Schuyler Thompson Schuler, 19, of Apt. 2, 61st Street, Brooklyn, N.Y., was arrested on various charges. At that time, an officer allegedly spotted a vehicle speeding on the access road leading up to the South College loading docks. The driver then reportedly parked illegally near the docks. Upon spotting the officer approaching the vehicle to make contact, the driver made a U-turn and fled the scene, allegedly almost striking several vehicles and pedestrians as she ran a red light at the Commonwealth Avenue intersection. She then allegedly squealed her tires and sped down Commonwealth Avenue in the direction of Route 116 with officers in pursuit. After reportedly striking several snow banks and nearly flipping her car, the driver eventually pulled over on Rte. 116, where officers approached the vehicle. Subsequently, Schuler was arrested without a struggle on charges of failure to stop/yield, two marked lanes violations, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for police and speeding. Schuler is a student at Hampshire College.

Friday, Feb. 25

At 1:57 a.m., Kevin Robert Allard, of 81 Church Street, Ware, Mass. was arrested for trespassing. Earlier that same night at 12:35 a.m., an officer allegedly spotted a young man walking down Massachusetts Avenue, stepping out in front of passing cars in an attempt to wave them down, but consequently forcing them to swerve into the opposing lane to avoid striking him. Believing this to be a hazard, the officer went to confront the suspect, but before he could do so, a vehicle stopped and picked him up. The officer then pulled over the vehicle in which he was now a passenger and identified the individual before issuing him a trespass notice and warning him not to return to campus. At 1:57 a.m., however, officers responding to a suspicious persons call near the Lederle Graduate Research Tower allegedly found the same individual loitering in the area, in violation of his trespass. Allard was then taken into custody on the trespassing charge.

At 9:26 p.m., two individuals received summonses to Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown on charges of liquor law violations. Officers patrolling Lot 32 East discovered two parties with a 12-pack of Miller Light beer and one 750 milliliter bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey in the trunk of a car that belonged to one of them. The alcohol was confiscated and both suspects will be summonsed to court to answer to charges of violating liquor laws.

At 11:31 p.m., Kenneth Goddard, 20, of 15 Westwood Drive, West Brookfield, Mass. was arrested on charges of liquor law violations. An officer travelling southbound on North Pleasant Street allegedly observed a black Toyota pickup truck run a red light at the intersection with Massachusetts Avenue. After pulling the vehicle over, the officer reportedly noticed a large quantity of beer in the vehicle, which was later counted at 31 containers. A check of the driver’s license revealed he was under 21 years of age, and subsequently, Goddard was arrested on charges of being a minor in possession of alcohol. His car was towed from the scene.

Saturday, February 26

At 12:53 a.m., William J. Doherty, 21, of 50 Quincy Ave., Winthrop, Mass. was arrested for operating under the influence and a one-way street violation. Officers travelling northbound on Thatcher Road reportedly observed a Toyota Camry travelling eastbound turn onto what was described as a “clearly marked” one-way street. After pulling the vehicle over outside of the North Apartments Building A and making contact with the driver, the officers allegedly detected an odor of alcohol inside the vehicle. In addition, the operator’s eyes were reportedly glossy and bloodshot, leading the officers to suspect he was intoxicated. He allegedly failed a field sobriety test and, after blowing a blood alcohol content nearly twice the legal limit of .08, Doherty was taken into custody for OUI and a one-way street violation. Ernie’s Towing was summoned to remove his car.

Monday, Feb. 28

At 11:52 a.m., officers were summoned to W.E.B. Du Bois Library for the report of a male who was allegedly being loud and disruptive while carrying on a phone conversation. Upon making contact with the individual creating the disturbance, the officers learned that he was having an argument with his girlfriend. The suspect complied with the officers’ requests for him to leave, stating that he was planning to go to a homeless shelter anyway and would not be returning to the library.

At 1:11 p.m., officers received an online report from a victim of a hit-and-run. The reporting party stated that he had parked his red Toyota Corolla in the lot near Totman Gym the previous night at 6:00 p.m., and returned the following day to find that his bumper had been cracked, apparently by the impact of another vehicle. The investigation is ongoing.

At 9:48 p.m., officers responded to McNamara Hall after a female resident called to report that a male individual with whom she had encountered problems in the past was in the building visiting his girlfriend. The resident also told police that she had consulted a Residence Director, who confirmed that the suspect was not permitted to be in the building. The suspect had left McNamara by the time officers arrived, and thus no action was taken against him.

Tuesday, March 1

At 6:44 p.m., officers received a report from UMass cheerleading coach Kelly Proctor, who claimed that someone had stolen an amplifier valued at $200 from the Curry Hicks cage. Anyone who saw anything suspicious is asked to contact UMPD.

-Collegian News Staff