Dom begins national tour at Iron Horse

thealternateside.org

Saturday night at 10 p.m., the Iron Horse will host the energetically appetizing acts of Expensive Looks, Bobby and headliners, Dom.

Dom will make the short commute from their shared residence in Hadley for the show that will begin a national six-week tour. The headliners have visited the Iron Horse several times, and express an enthusiasm for Northampton entertainment and dining.

Natives of Worcester, Dom is a dynamic group that is very new to the scene. They started playing and recording under the name Dom for the first time in January 2010. After only four months, the garage-meets-pop band released a seven-track EP titled “Sun Bronzed Greek Gods.” The freshman album immediately began to infect countless listeners craving an experimental but accessible sound.

Major record labels wasted no time trying to sign on this very young group. Dom was given countless offers, almost all of which they promptly declined. A collection of creative mavericks, Dom feared the corporate control that would come from signing with a big name label. However, they ended up signing a short contract with EMI/Astralwerks. After the tour, the band will release another EP with the label and return to their preferred status of being “free agents.”

But where did this lucky band, who, for personal reasons choose not to have their full names out in public, even come from before rising through the musical ranks so quickly? Namesake and guitarist/keyboardist Dom met drummer Bobby in Worcester in 2009 and the two began laying down electronic music foundations. Together they wrote “Jesus” as their first song and quickly moved forward by introducing bassist Erik and guitarist Cosmo.

Despite the fact that it was 23-year-old Dom’s first time being in a “real band,” it was and is a wild success. When writing their first EP the group channeled vibes from a wide spectrum of sounds. They like the grungy garage band type feels of inspirations like Kurt Cobain, but across the spectrum, they also like the peppiness of groups like the Carpenters. It’s safe to say that their style is quite changeable, and reflects the member’s current listening preferences.

Separately though, each Dom musician is very different. But the element of contrast between members is vital to their unified success. Dom says of his band mates that “we all relate on different levels and interchangeably work together.” The original two, Dom and Bobby, can always connect on some level or other. And they’re only getting tighter and tighter as a whole.

Over the past year Dom has had many opportunities to showcase their unique creations live. They even took to the road for a month with Ratatat last year.

When they’re onstage, their goal is to push themselves and put on a really fun show for the crowd. “I try to think of what Kurt Cobain would do when I’m up in front of an audience,” Dom said.

Off of the stage, the modern musicians relish in the beauties of living right off of Route 9. “Our life is a sitcom,” Dom said while also mentioning the entertainment of being so close to the B43 bus stop.

Enthusiasts of fresh musical experiences and fun times alike, Dom intends to show Northampton a night like it has never seen before.

Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door and are available at www.NBOtickets.com.

Amy Larson can be reached at [email protected].