Gabriela Corbera: Thailand

Read about this trip | See more from Gaby | Follow along with other UMass students as they travel across the globe.

[slickr-flickr tag=”Gaby1″ delay=”20″]

Why Thailand?

Many have asked me, “Why are you going to Thailand? Why not Spain, Greece or Australia?”

Well, my answer is, “Why not?”

To be perfectly honest, Thailand was not my first pick. Ever since high school, I dreamed of studying abroad. It’s been a dream for me and my family, so, rather than complain about going to Umass, I instead had high hopes to eventually study abroad.

My freshman year, I tried to study abroad, but I was too young. My family told me that I needed at least a year at Umass, apparently to adapt to college before I could go to another country. I did, and I fell in love with college. I guess they were right!

The price is right

In the Fall of 2010 I attended a study abroad fair with two friends of mine. My heart sunk a bit.

There were programs for every region in the world waiting for some anxious, excited, student to sign up. I am pretty sure I grabbed every flyer possible; to Spain and everywhere else.

About an hour later, I heard, “Gaby, are you done, I think we’re leaving,” from a friend of mine.

I just looked at my friends and said, “Um… No!”

It was just cool, knowing that I could be getting credits for the exact same classes, but in a whole other country.

After speaking to the people in the Spain programs, I was nervous that the prices were more expensive than a semester at UMass. Then, I came across a guy who was coaxing me to his table.

He asked me what I was interested in and I said anything with Political Science courses. He told me to close my eyes and forget about my major.

“Picture anywhere in the world you want to see,” he said.

“Spain,” I said.

He looked a little disappointed in me. Nonetheless, he informed me about the great program in Spain.

Then, he asked me why I wanted to go there. If I was going abroad, he highly recommended that I go somewhere completely different, that would be cheaper and an unbelievable experience, like India or Thailand.

I still wanted to go to Spain but, once again, I had no funds. So, instead, I pursued India.

India has a fast-growing economy with the largest global population. Considering I have watched Bollywood films since I was 12 years old, this idea was exciting. Many of my friends are Indian, so I like to think it has always been a part of me.

Then, there was Thailand. I saw videos of the program, and it just looked amazing and totally different. I wanted to go to Thailand. It just seems so peaceful, friendly, and spiritual.

A blessing in disguise

My India program didn’t get approved by the school. No Spain and, now, no India.

Though I knew “politically” it was a smarter move to learn about India because it is a rising nation, I secretly always wanted to go to Thailand.

My Dad suggested waiting until next year to apply to another India program (or even China), but I could not wait, for various reasons.

I have never really ever been in touch with my spiritual side.

Both of parents are Catholic and my Dad thought it’d be better if I chose my own religion, rather than be locked up into one. As much as I liked that, I didn’t really do anything about it. I have made very little effort to become in-touch my spiritual side.

I think fate brought me to a “Land of Smiles.”

One of my biggest problems is that I absolutely love filling my agenda with things to do everyday. Ever since I was in high school, I realized life had more meaning if you do things. That way, you keep busy and feel good. That has been my lifestyle. I sincerely enjoy it, and, when something is finished, it just feels so good.

But, with this comes a ton of stress. Sometimes, I feel I am unable to handle it and this past semester, I definitely felt its effects.

Thailand does not have the busy, rushed lifestyle that we do in America. At least, that’s what I gather from people and books. If people here in Thailand don’t fill their agendas everyday, then how are they so happy?

Why is it that this place is called the Land of Smiles? Why are people so happy and friendly? Is it Buddhism? I plan on finding answers to all of these questions, learning more about myself, and maybe even awakening some spirituality by doing, what my friend likes to call, “some soul-searching.”

Why a non-Western country? Because I don’t think it will give me what I am looking for. While I am still captivated by European life, fate is bringing me to Thailand.

What do I want from this? I want to learn about a new culture, while learning more about myself.

Spain, I’ll visit you eventually.

Maybe Thailand is not a rising nation like India, who knows. Still, it looks like a beautiful country with so many answers to my questions.

I am so excited, nervous, anxious, scared and eager to experience the world out there. Thailand, here I come!