Local barbers shave heads to save lives with St. Baldrick’s

Flickr
Flickr

Khama Ennis Holcombe hasn’t gone to get a haircut in over 20 years. On Sunday, she’ll put nearly $3,000 on the table to finally get it cut, but she’s not doing it to just clean up her split ends. Holcombe’s long black hair will be completely shaved away to support the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity that raises money for children’s cancer research.

While she is by far the highest solo fundraiser to this point, she is one of over 170 people already signed up to have their heads shaved on Sunday, March 27 at Rafters Sports Bar & Restaurant in Amherst.

Barbers and stylists from local shops will come together for the buzz-worthy event. The University of Massachusetts Police Department and Matt’s Barber Shop in Amherst are hosting their second annual fundraiser for the Foundation.

St. Baldrick’s was founded on March 17, 2000. The head shaving foundation is the world’s largest volunteer-driven fundraising program for children’s cancer research, aside from the United States government. The Foundation has raised over $105 million in the past 11 years, including over $37 million in 2010 and 2011 alone. More than 179,000 people have shaved their heads for St. Baldrick’s from 2000 to 2011.

The event is very similar to a walk-a-thon. Participants can sign up on the foundation’s website, www.stbaldricks.org, where sponsors can donate to the Foundation in their name.

Last year, the event earned over $34,000. This year they hope to earn over $50,000, according to Matt Haskins, owner of Matt’s Barbershop. The goal posted on the official event page is $35,000, and as of Thursday night, the amount raised was approaching $34,000.

“We expect to gain $12,000 directly at the event,” said Haskins. “Nearly 170 volunteers signed up already. We expect over 200 people to get their heads shaved.”

Currently there are just over 170 “shavees,” as the website calls them. If you’d rather not part ways with your own hair, there are other ways to participate.

“We encourage cash donations as well. For every person getting their head shaved there are at least three spectators,” he said.

Haskins said that this year there will be some women shaving their heads as well. It’s not uncommon for women to shave their heads for the cause. Since St. Baldrick’s was founded in 2000, more than 16,000 women have parted ways with all of their hair. Haskins explained that if a woman’s hair is long enough it will be donated for wigs for cancer patients. The two top fundraisers this year so far have been women, lead by Holcombe, garnering a combined total of $4,432 as of Thursday night. The top team so far is the Amherst firefighters and friends with $6,890, closely followed by the UMPD with $6,094.

Last year, while an Amherst firefighter was having his head shaved, his fellow firefighters encouraged him to shave his mustache as well.

“You can tell this guy had that mustache for a long time,” said Haskins.

He said he would do it for no less than $500.

“Everyone was taking money out of their pockets,” Haskins said. His mustache was gone in a matter of minutes.”

Considering the success of last year’s event and the reputation of the Foundation, Haskins is really looking forward to Sunday.

“For a barber, this is the biggest holiday in the entire year,” he said.

Registration begins at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, and the shaving starts at noon. The event will hold an auction and other small activities to entertain everyone.

Jackie Chambers can be reached at [email protected].