No. 4 Hofstra remains undefeated with win over Harvard

Courtesy geotrans.hofstra.edu
Courtesy geotrans.hofstra.edu

With Saturday’s 15-9 win over Harvard, Hofstra men’s lacrosse team remained undefeated through its first four games.

Facing the Crimson at home in Hempstead, N.Y, the No. 6 Pride played with high intensity throughout the entirety of the game.

Junior midfielder Brad Loizeaux was the first player to score on either side, giving Hofstra the lead just minutes into the game. Immediately following the first goal, Harvard’s Jack Doyle ripped an unassisted goal to tie it up.

The teams would exchange goals and stay tied until the Crimson’s Eric Slingerland assisted Jeff Cohen for a goal, giving Harvard its only lead of the day, 3-2.

From there, the Pride scored three-consecutive goals, two coming from senior Jamie Lincoln who would add another before halftime, giving him four in the half and Hofstra a solid 9-6 lead.

Hofstra scored the first two goals of the second half giving them a comfortable 11-6 lead. For the remainder of the game, both teams would continue to trade goals, with the Pride ultimately coming out on top, 15-9. Lincoln finished the game with five goals and an assist, while fellow senior Jay Card finished with three goals and three assists. Harvard’s Alex White finished the contest with a goal and three assists.

This was the second-straight win for Hofstra against an Ivy League opponent, the other coming last week at home against Princeton, 11-9. The Pride’s next game comes Saturday at home against Air Force (1-3).

SJU remains winless

Saint Joseph’s dropped its third game of the season to remain winless.

Facing Big East foe Rutgers at home, the Hawks appeared as though they would hang with the Scarlet Knights, keeping them off the board until Michael Diehl scored an unassisted goal with four minutes left in the first quarter to give Rutgers the lead.

The Scarlet Knights later scored two goals within eight seconds to make it a 3-0 game. The Hawks put one into the back of the net with three seconds left in the first quarter when senior attackman Scott Cullinan beat the goalie.

Rutgers scored three goals in the second quarter and five in the second half and hounded down on the Hawks to hold SJU to an 11-1 loss.

The loss to Rutgers puts the Hawks at 0-3 on the season, having also lost to Lehigh and Bryant. Next week they face Drexel, a Colonial Athletic Association rival.

Drexel struggling against top teams

Drexel hasn’t found a stroke of luck when it comes to competing against some of the top teams in the nation. This was on display Sunday when the Dragons dropped an 11-7 decision to No. 3 Notre Dame.

In the end, Notre Dame was too much for the Dragons to handle, going on a big second quarter rally and holding off a late Drexel push to win by four.

Coming into this contest, Drexel stood at 1-2. The Dragons lost their first game of the season on the road to Virginia, 11-9. A week later, they got their first win of the season by beating Albany at home and last week, they lost a heartbreaker to Villanova, 14-13.

The early season struggles hurt Drexel, but they certainly do not ruin its season. Next Saturday Drexel takes on a struggling SJU team at home,

Matt Catizone can be reached at [email protected].