No. 4 South Carolina upsets Gators

No. 4 South Carolina came back from a three-run deficit with the help of a seven-inning shutout from three relievers to upset top-ranked Florida, 4-3. Sundays’ win clinched the three-game SEC baseball series for the Gamecocks.

The Gators (21-4, 4-2 Southwestern Conference) came out swinging in the bottom of the second as they scored three runs on three hits. Outfielder Kamm Washington and third baseman Zack Powers each drove in a run while going 1-for-3 on the afternoon. Despite going 0-for-3 on the day, second baseman Josh Adams earned an RBI on a sacrifice bunt to close the inning with a 3-0 lead.

The Gamecocks (18-5, 4-2 SEC) retaliated later at the top of the sixth with a rally of their own as they evened out the odds.

With  runners on second and third, first baseman Christian Walker managed to reach first and bring in a run on an error by Gators shortstop Nolan Fontana. The last two scores of the inning were a result of a groundout from third baseman Adrian Morales and a single from designated hitter Jake Williams.

South Carolina left three men on the bag at the top of the eighth but still brought in what would be the game-winning run, courtesy of a Morales walk.

The Gamecocks bullpen finished the game strong as relievers Colby Holmes, John Taylor and Matt Price contributed to a seven-inning shutout in relief of the starter Bryan Harper.

No. 10 FSU wins in record time

No. 10 Fresno State completed a three-game sweep against San Diego as the Bulldogs (18-2) beat the Toreros 3-2 in 22-inning fashion.

The game lasted over seven hours and is the third longest game in NCAA Division I history.

The Bulldogs endured the Toreros (4-17) at the bottom of the 22nd inning. Scoring one run off of two hits, Bulldogs shortstop Garret Weber hit a single to bring in the game-winning run.

Down by two runs at the bottom of the ninth, the Bulldogs showed a flash of resiliency. With a double to left center, outfielder Brennan Gowens brought in the two RBI’s that would tie the game and send it to extra innings.

The game carried on for an additional 13 innings, until the Bulldogs brought the drought with a score in the bottom of the final inning.

With the exception of third baseman Kris Bryant and designated hitter Corey LeVier, the Toreros saw few batting contributions apart from catcher Zach Sullivan, who went 5-for-9 on the night despite not driving home any runs. The bats of Bryant and LeVier, who went 3-for-8 and 2-for-6, respectively, brought in the Torero scores.

De’Shawn Townsend can be reached at [email protected].