SGA candidate arrested Sunday night

By Collegian News Staff

Facebook

Facebook

(Updated 3-9-11 – 9:26 p.m.): Further attempts to contact student trustee candidate Widlynn Louis resulted in reaching the candidate, who did not give an official comment at the time.)

According to an article Tuesday in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Widlynn Louis, a University of Massachusetts candidate for Student Government Association Student Trustee was arrested on Sunday for what is her second arrest this semester.

Louis, 20, was arrested on charges of violating the town noise bylaw at 23 Shumway St. over the weekend.

According to the Amherst Police Department’s Arrest Status Report for the month of February, Louis was charged with aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette’s police log for Amherst reports that Louis allegedly struck her roommate with a doorknob after an argument over the replacement of said doorknob.

SGA Chancellor of Elections Zachary Dawson could not provide a comment on Louis’ activity or her judicial history.

“If found guilty in breaking the student code of conduct, the Elections Committee can give a student a warning, invalidate an election or nullify it,” he said.

According to an e-mail from Dean of Students and Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Jo-Anne Vanin to Dawson, Vanin said, “I cannot provide you with a student’s discipline history. If you require that information, the student must provide that to you.”

According to an SGA law, “Violation of Title VIII, Section 1, The Elections Commission may, upon a two-thirds vote of its member attendance at a scheduled meeting, and up to thirty calendar days following an election, take any one of the actions prescribed herein for violations of Title VIII of the By-laws of the SGA: 1.Warning, 2.Suspension, 3.Invalidation, 4.Nullification.”

Collegian News Staff