Shaving heads, saving lives

Zach Weishar/Collegian

Over 350 people showed up at Rafters Sports Bar and Grill in Amherst, Mass. on Sunday to support the Saint Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity that raises money for children’s cancer research.

Hair was falling everywhere, completely covering the pavement. Many of those in attendance were from local area fire and police departments. People were showing pictures on cameras and phones from their family and friends’ shaving experience.

Over 220 people had their heads shaved at the event. Participants or “shavees” proudly displaying a pin on their shirts that read, “Ask me why I am bald.”

Twelve-year-old Olivia Warren and her mother, Bernadette Bean stood out among the crowd, displaying their new look.

“Olivia drove us to come here and participate,” said Bean.

Warren raised $1,836 and was the second highest participating shavee.

“I learned about this last year from a friend. She said this was a good cause,” Warren said.

Before shaving, she had her hair to her shoulders. She will be donating it to Pantene ‘s Beautiful Lengths, which makes wigs for cancer patients.

Warren is confident in her new shaved head and her smile says it all.

She not only shaved her head, but has also taken the initiative to reach out to caner patients. “She has touched base with a couple children fighting cancer,” said Bean.

With $5,070 raised, first place participant Khama Ennis Holcombe was one of the first shavees. Her results revealed a brand new look for Holcombe. Jill Burdick, another woman who shaved her head for the cause, said, “I feel great.”

Warren and Bean both hadn’t looked in the mirror and explained that their heads felt “very cold.” Bean said she believed the other female shavees, including Holcombe, really inspired her daughter.

On the other hand, Bean was nervous about her new hairstyle.

“I work in a professional setting and am nervous,” said Bean. “I work in the health care industry so I think it will be okay.”

Throughout the event, announcements were made regarding the ongoing fundraising and information on how much more money people needed to donate for more shaving to occur. Luke Hartnett, a fire captain from Erving, asked for a $500 donation to shave his beard.

“I’ve had it for six months and I haven’t touched or cleaned it up once,” he said. “I look like Curly from the Three Stooges.”

At the time, Hartnett had already raised $127 when screaming and yelling about his beard filled the air.

However, his family and friends shouldn’t get used to a bald chin on Hartnett.

“I am going to end up growing it back,” he said.

For barbers and hair dressers, the fundraiser was a dream come true, shaving heads without having to worry about styling, layers, or even cuts – just a straight buzz.

“This is very exciting,” said Dionne Sendrowski, a hair stylist. “I don’t know how many heads I shaved. I lost count after 30.” She explained that the best part of her job is being able to experience the before-and-after effect.

As of Sunday night the event raised over $46,000, far exceeding the goal of $35,000. The Amherst fire department and friends raised the most, bringing in a grand total of $10,860 for the foundation. The University of Massachusetts Police Department followed close behind, raising $7,745.

“I want people to ask me why I am bald,” said Burdick.

Jackie Chambers can be reached at [email protected].