Shop in downtown Amherst saved due to support from locals

Kenyon.org
Kenyon.org

When walking in downtown Amherst, there are certain features that are just givens: red and brick buildings, University of Massachusetts maroon sweatshirts, the firehouse and Robert Green’s display of antique typewriters.

Green has been in business in Amherst for 35 years and until recently not many were aware of the struggles he – and his store – were facing.

Green, 66, said the problem began with the sinking economy drying up his student sales, which he said are crucial to his ability to stay afloat. However, Green regained some business when the economy started to pick back up again, seven months ago.

“Well, when the economy [crashed] part of my market had dried up, as a result of that money and income loss, I got behind on my rent and other bills,” Green said. “So, back in the later part of April [2010], my landlord[s] started making demands. They said, ‘Pay up or you’re gone.’”

“So I signed an agreement because the economy picked back up and I thought I would be able to pay them back by the time they asked on the agreement,” Green added.

It was only after Green signed the agreement that his health started to decline at an increasing rate. He said he suffered from stroke symptoms for two weeks and eventually an actual stroke, which resulted in his inability to be able to come to work, or to do his job effectively.

“I’ve worked seven days a week for 35 years, and never missed a day of work,” said Green. “For the first time in 35 years, I missed three days of work.”

“On top of that, it got to the point where I couldn’t perform my job like I was used to, because you have to have good vision and a steady hand to repair typewriters, and my vision was blurry and my balance was off,” he added.

Green asked the Amherst Knights of Columbus, his landlords, if he could get an extension due to his physical condition. After negotiating with the organization, Green said that the Knights of Columbus agreed to lower his debt of $6,700 to $6,000, but asked him to pay it to them by Feb. 25, three days ahead of when his rent would normally be due.

At a loss for what to do, Green contacted the Amherst Bulletin to detail his plight.

“After the paper ran, a reporter showed up at the store, and told me about the fund set up to save my store,” Green recounted. “I never asked anyone for anything, I just wanted my side of the story told.”

That fund was set up by Reynolds Winslow and Michael Burkhart, two local residents, who, upon reading Green’s story, grew concerned for Green and his business. Donations poured in to the fund – called “The Typewrite Man Commission” – and Green was able to make his rent in time and keep his store.

“The impossible turned out to be a real possibility. I was out of money, and it came from people who had compassion,” Green said. “And I just appreciate that.”

“I’m not a perfect person, but you would be surprised at all the letters and cards I’ve gotten from older generations of students,” he added. “People have come in expressing their appreciation for me, some weren’t able to give donations because they can’t afford it, but they gave moral support. Really, I needed both, and it means so much.”

Michelle Altman can be reached at [email protected].