The minority experience

September 9, 2007 was my first day of classes on a college campus. Excitement and fear ran through my body as I stepped through the doors of the lecture hall of my first class. I entered and took my seat in a room with what had to be over 200 fellow students. I looked around and thought to myself, “Where are my people?”

Today, I find myself asking the exact same question. I have taken a number of courses over my four years here at the University of Massachusetts and there have been plenty of instances where I have been the only African-American in my class. In my case, it was a little difficult for me to branch out to strangers of another race, let alone those from a completely different state from where I grew up. The pressure of being the only African-American in a class can be very stressful at times, because you don’t know how people are going to view you or treat you.

From my point of view, it seemed like everyone else in my courses were easily able to find things they had in common with peers and make friends. I knew college was the best place to network, but it was hard at the time; I was used to having other African-Americans around whom I would be able to relate to. Eventually, I overcame my shy nature, and tried my best to work with people of all different races and backgrounds. It wasn’t like I had not been in the presence of people of different ethnicities and backgrounds before, and I definitely did not have a problem with any them. It was just overwhelming and deeply saddening to see that out of hundreds of students, I was often the only African-American, or one of just a handful.

Why?

After listening to the education that the others received and the names of the courses they took, I came to one possible reason for the lack of African-American enrollment at UMass. The level of education that many African-Americans get in their communities often is not the same quality as people of other ethnicities. I can recall times when many of my white peers would compare the number of Advanced Placement courses they took before being in college classes. They spoke about classes such as AP calculus and AP physics, classes I did not have the privilege of taking. My high school did have AP courses, but I don’t ever remember anyone informing us of the benefits these courses could have for you in the long run. I glanced into an AP calculus class once and noticed my friend was the only black person in the room; everyone else was either white or Asian. Why was it that the advanced class contained a white majority and only one black individual?

America is said to be a country of equal opportunity, but if you open your eyes and take a good look around you will notice that African-Americans and other minorities are still at a significant disadvantage. I recommend watching the film, “Waiting for Superman.” The film explores the students whom never receive a sufficient education, one that gives them the necessary skills to make it into a decent four-year college. It also explores several other statistics showing the disadvantages that these minorities face. Taking a look around the campus, I feel very privileged to be one of the African-Americans who have had the fortune of making it here. However, it is sad that such a small part of the student body is of a minority background. There needs to be more of an effort to provide quality education to students of all ethnicities.

When something overseas happens, the government runs to aid with millions of dollars that we don’t even have, but we can’t even solve simple problems such as providing a quality education for all students nationwide. The status quo sets these underprivileged minorities up for failure. How can they say we have equal opportunity under conditions such as these? The glass ceiling that minorities face has not been completely shattered, and we as a nation need to take the necessary steps to truly make things right on the home-front.

Curtis Bloomfield is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].