UMPD make arrest in alleged JQA rape case

The University of Massachusetts Police Department has made an arrest in connection with the alleged rape that occurred Friday, March 11 in John Quincy Adams, a high-rise residential dormitory in Southwest.

UMPD Deputy Chief of Police Patrick Archbald confirmed in a phone interview that Victor Rodriguez, 21, of 116 Woodycrest Avenue, Southbridge, Mass., was arrested on charges of rape and breaking and entering into a building during the nighttime to commit a felony the same day of the crime. Rodriguez is a full-time student at UMass who was residing in JQA at the time of the rape.

Mid-Friday morning, the UMass community received emergency texts and emails stating that a sexual assault had occurred on campus and detectives were looking for the perpetrator. Based on witness testimony, officers were able to develop a profile of the suspect – the description listed the perpetrator as being male, Hispanic or “partially black,” about 5-feet, 6-inches tall, with thick, curly black hair tied back in a ponytail, and wearing gym clothes and a headband.

“Based on that description, we started to get a number of responses back via text and email from people who thought they might know who the suspect was,” said Archbald.

Rodriguez began to emerge as a suspect as a result of the investigation into these tips. Detectives met with him for a “one-on-one interview,” which culminated in his confession to the crime.

Subsequently, Rodriguez was arrested for the rape and breaking and entering charges and transported to the Hampshire County House of Corrections, where he spent the weekend. Bail was set at $50,000, and he was indicted the following Monday morning. He has since been trespassed from University property.

Collegian News Staff