Acclaimed nuclear physicist to lecture at UM Friday

By Collegian News Staff

Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow
Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow

In the wake of last month’s meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan, the Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) will bring world-renowned nuclear physicist Dr. Kelvin Kemm to the University of Massachusetts today.

Kemm will lecture starting at noon in room 133 of the Isenberg School of Management and will discuss the Japanese nuclear disaster, the future of nuclear energy and nuclear energy in the third world, announced CFACT director Dmitriy Shapiro in a Thursday release.

Kemm believes that constructing nuclear power plants in developing nations can “bolster civilian infrastructure and improve the quality of life,” according to the release.

The South Africa native is being brought to campus by the newly-inaugurated campus chapter of CFACT, which Shapiro said in the release is “a conservative, free market environmental lobby.” Kemm’s speech is also being sponsored by UMass physics professor Dr. Gerald A. Peterson, who “supports the event because of his research, involvement and interest in nuclear power,” according to Shapiro’s statement.

Kemm will discuss whether he feels nuclear power plants actually pose a major threat to areas susceptible to earthquakes or tsunamis, addressing both media’s scrutiny of nuclear power in vulnerable areas and the real threats such arrangements pose. He is the founder of the environmental lobby Green and Gold Forum and was, according to Shapiro’s release, the first African appointed to the European Science and Environmental Forum (ESEF). Kemm will also attempt to back up his assertion that nuclear power is the cleanest and safest form of energy, Shapiro said.

Shapiro said in the release that Kemm’s visit comes at a perfect time, given recent events.

“Even with the nearly impossible amount of time to organize the event,” he said, referencing the fact that talk of Kemm’s appearance only began about a week ago, “we decided to accept the challenge because of how timely the nuclear power issue is.”

Kemm’s presentation will commence at noon Friday and is free and open to the public.

-Collegian News Staff