Minutewomen offense progressing

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Earlier in the season, Massachusetts softball coach Elaine Sortino was looking for anybody and everybody to contribute offensively. Now, however, each player in the lineup is contributing in her own way as the Minutewomen have recently grown into a versatile group of batters.

Not too long ago, UMass was searching for answers. In the midst of an 11-game stretch that produced just one win, the Minutewomen scored over two runs just twice.

“We haven’t had the easiest of times,” said Sortino in a March 30 interview. “We’ve been struggling. We have to hit one through nine. We’ve been out of sorts. Quite frankly, I really felt like it’s not technically our swings as much as the choices.”

Sortino recalled a weekend at Charlotte from March 18-20 when she stood from the third base coaches’ box as her team let good pitches go by and swung at multiple bad pitches.

The Minutewomen scored three total runs in the weekend’s two games.

However, since UMass started its first home campaign of the season, the offense has been there just enough to help out the pitching staff.

A four-game win streak over Dartmouth and Saint Louis saw the Minutewomen score 15 total runs.

While four of those runs came via the home run, the majority has been created as a result of small ball principles, smart base running, and timely, collective hitting.

The lone run scored in UMass’ Game 1 win over Dartmouth on Wednesday came after Tiffany Meeks earned a full-count walk. The next batter, freshman Lindsey Webster, promptly sacrificed her over to second with a bunt. Meeks was eventually brought home by Stephanie Mayne’s RBI single.

The 1-0 victory was a rare score that the Minutewomen believe is not a reflection of modern softball scores.

“Games are scored 6-2, not just 1-0 or 2-0 anymore,” said Webster. “So it’s not just a pitcher’s game like it used to be. I really think it’s a lot about hitting and our team’s finally doing a much better job at that and I’m excited to see us progress.”

However, one particular inning in Game 1 on Sunday against Saint Louis epitomized how diverse the Minutewomen have become on offense as they topped the Billikens, 4-0.

After Mayne began the fifth inning with a solo home run to center field, sophomore Cyndil Matthew, the team’s pesky ninth hitter, was hit by a pitch. Following a steal of second base, Matthew was brought home on a base hit by Kyllie Magill, who advanced to second on the throw.

Webster singled to put runners on the corners with no one out. The heads-up base running continued as Webster attempted a steal of second base. Magill alertly sprinted home following the throw. When the second baseman retrieved the throw, she immediately threw home, which allowed Webster to take third.

The manufactured run by Webster and Magill proved to be very important, as UMass did not get another hit in the inning.

Sara Plourde, in the process of what would become her eighth career no-hitter, was able to loosen up after holding a 3-0 advantage.

As Sortino knows, a productive offense can help relax the other facets of a team.

“It means a lot,” said Sortino. “It takes the pressure off the pitcher, pressure off the defense. When you know you can score multiple runs, it’s a very important thing. If you don’t have run capability, that makes everyone just a little bit tighter. It makes them tighter in their at-bats. It keeps feeding off itself and that’s not a good thing.”

Patience at the plate has also been a key element to the Minutewomen and their recent success.

The first two runs of Game 2 against the Billikens came courtesy of leadoff walks in the first and second inning, respectively.

With a versatile offense coming to the plate each game, Sortino and the Minutewomen can breathe easier as more wins are sure to be in store.

Pete Vasquez can be reached at [email protected].