Sara Plourde, Lindsey Webster win A-10 weekly honors

Michael Wood/Collegian

Junior Saint Joseph’s player Bernadette Moran was awarded the title of Atlantic 10 Conference Softball Player of the Week. Massachusetts’ Sara Plourde, meanwhile, was named the Pitcher of the Week, and Lindsey Webster was named Rookie of the Week.

Moran played in four games this week, recording a hit in each game to lead the Hawks to a 3-1 mark in the A-10.

Plourde was impossible to hit, as she struck out a school record 39 batters with 17.2 consecutive hitless innings in four games for the Minutewomen. She earned a 3-0 record with one save over that span.

Webster, a freshman right fielder, helped UMass win all four games this past week with a three-run homer over Dartmouth and two successful recorded sacrifice bunts. She also hit .500 with a 1.000 slugging percentage and knocked in five runs.

Temple senior throws two complete games in doubleheader sweep

Senior right-hander Kristen Marris threw two complete games in a doubleheader sweep of George Washington University on Sunday for the Temple University softball team.

GW started on the right track, scoring a run off of Marris in the bottom of the first inning. However, the lead was short-lived when Meaghan Marley and Devynne Nelons scored two runs in the top of the second.

The bases were loaded when Marris stepped up to bat, hitting a two-run single up the middle, securing a 2-1 lead for the Owls.

Both Marris and GW pitcher Kara Clauss held the offenses scoreless the rest of the way as Temple held on for the victory.

In the second game, Marris was a key player once again, starting off the top of the first with a triple. Sarah Prezioso brought Marris home on a sacrifice fly to center field, giving the Owls an early 1-0 lead.

Sophomore Julie Orlandi hit her first career home run in the bottom of the third, knotting the score for the Colonials.

Temple broke the tie in the top of the sixth when Ali Robinson hit a solo home run, increasing her total to a team-high six for the season.

The Owls added insurance when Marris scored the final run of the contest to give Temple the 3-1 win.

The Owls are now 16-18 overall and 7-3 in the Atlantic 10, while the Colonials are 11-13-1 overall and 3-5 in conference play.

Billikens shut out Rams

Saint Louis swept Rhode Island 7-0 in the home-opener this past weekend at the URI Softball Complex.

The assault started early for the Billikens as they drove in a run in the top of the first and three in the second.

Rhode Island didn’t have many opportunities to score, with only five hits the entire game, two coming in the last inning.

In the last inning, the Billikens scored three runs on three hits to ensure a 7-0 victory.

In the second game, the Billikens continued the barrage, scoring seven runs in the fourth inning. Of the 12 batters who got up to the plate, five recorded at least one run batted in. The Billikens swept the two-game doubleheader, outscoring Rhode Island 14-0 over the weekend.

Amy Chaunt  can we reached at [email protected].