Taste of UMass returns to Mullins Center

Michael Wood/Collegian

It’s time to get your Taste on.

The 17th annual Taste of UMass – an event organized by the University of Massachusetts – will take over the Mullins Center today from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. This year’s Taste is “going back to basics this year with simple food and entertainment,” according to a release by the UMass News Office. There will be 70 booths of “comfort foods” items, including macaroni and cheese.

“We encourage students and guests to join us for some simple healthy food and have some fun as well,” said Ken Toong, executive director of auxiliary enterprises in the news release.

The main events of the evening will include the annual UMass Idol singing contest, a “cupcake war” team competition and a sushi roll making timed challenge. Food Network personality Kevin Brauch will emcee the latter two of the contests.

A flier of the event advertised that the following individuals would make an appearance at the Taste: New England Patriots cheerleaders, Wally the Green Monster, UMass Cheerleaders & Dance Team, the Minuteman Mascot, the Stilt Walker and an appearance from the radio station Hits 94.3.

Red Sox tickets and gift certificates will be available as prizes, according to the flier.

All of the Dining Commons will be closed at 3 p.m., said Toong in a campus-wide email. The Blue Wall and the Hampden, Franklin and Worcester convenience stores will remain open and Southwest Café, Southwest Delivery Express and Worcester Pita will open early at 3 p.m. After the Taste, the Berkshire and Worcester dining commons will open at 9 p.m.

Students on a meal plan can attend the Taste with a swipe. There is a $10 admission fee for faculty and staff and $12 for the general public. Buses will go to and from the Mullins Center throughout the night.

– Collegian News Staff