Virginia remains atop baseball standings

Boston College fell short to No. 1 Virginia on Sunday and dropped the three-game series, 2-1, after being shut out, 17-0, in Game 1.

The Cavaliers (42-5) managed to drive in 17 runs off nine different Eagles (16-26)’ pitchers on Friday, recording their 13th shutout of the season.

In Game 2, the Eagles managed to go neck and stick with the Cavaliers, maintaining a 3-2 lead through the third inning. UV tied it up in the fourth with a ground ball.

After 10.5 well played innings of play by both teams, junior pitcher Justin Thompson gave up a run in the bottom of the 11th, tying the series at one game apiece heading into Sunday’s game.

The Cavaliers started off the top of Game 3 with an unearned run off of Eagles’ pitcher Dave Laufer. Virginia’s Chris Taylor moved to first with a lead-off walk, and then advanced to second on a passed ball. He was moved over to third on a groundout and finally brought home after fly-out on a sacrifice fly.

BC had few scoring opportunities, thanks to the Cavaliers’ strong pitching and the team capitalized on its chances which allowed the Cavaliers’ confidence to rise. UV scored two more runs in the fifth inning and secured on another in the top of the ninth to seal the victory. Virginia plays again Tuesday evening at 7 p.m.

South Carolina takes series win

The Gamecocks won another series win this weekend over Auburn and secured their second place standing in the Southeastern Conference.

Both teams scored a run in the second inning, but both remained deadlocked until USC shook things up in the ninth, breaking the tie after seven innings, bringing home a 2-1 win for the first game of the series.

In Game 2, USC shined in the seventh inning, driving in six runs to defeat the Tigers, 10-2. Auburn managed to score two runs during the course of the game, but it wasn’t enough to get climb out of the hole they were put themselves in, with a final score of 10-2.

Freshman pitcher Forrest Koumas won the final game of the series, 7-3, for the Gamecocks, allowing two runs on four hits in through five innings, and improving his record to 5-0.

During the final game of the series, USC took an early lead, scoring a run at the bottom of the first and two more in the bottom of the second. Auburn score on a sacrifice fly, driving home Kevin Patterson, but the Gamecocks never faltered. Auburn scored twice more in the third and the sixth inning, but USC plated up a total of seven runs to secure their victory and take the series.

Vanderbilt defeats Tennessee

Hawkins Field was sold out once again this weekend, as the Commodores (38-5) hosted Tennessee with a season high of 3,645 fans.

Vanderbilt’s Sonny Gray allowed four hits over the course of eight innings and allowed one run. However, the outlook wasn’t so great for Tenn., when the Commodores scored 10 runs in the contest, eight of them coming in the last three innings. Mike Yastrzemski, grandson of former Boston Red Sox Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski, drove in three runs.

The second game of the series was like deja-vu for the Commodores with a 10-1 victory over Tenn. again on Saturday.

On Sunday afternoon, the Commodores completed the sweep of UT by scoring and scoring 11 runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to eventually take the game, 19-3.  The squad held a having a 19-0 lead until the top of the eighth inning, when the Vols drove in three runs to make the score.

Amy Chaunt can be reached at [email protected].