10 guy-friendly romantic movies

10 Things I Hate About You [1999]:

The charismatic, bad-boy Heath Ledger and quintessential 90s-lovestory actress Julia Stiles pair up in this modern interpretation of Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.” A twisty plot driven by pride and passion take the different characters in a Seattle high school to an ending none of them expect. A young Joseph Gordon-Levitt sparkles in the cast as a female favorite for the past decade.

50 First Dates [2004]:

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore pair up in this starry-eyed comedy about devotion in spite of difficult circumstances. Sandler and Barrymore have great chemistry in their second movie together, making an intense theme played out in a humorous environment work . Watch these two stars demonstrate a love stronger than amnesia without having to watch “The Notebook!”

(500) Days of Summer [2009]:

In a non-linear account of a 500-day relationship, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel act out the highs and lows of cute coworkers trying to make it as a couple. This movie is simultaneously crushing and uplifting. With a great soundtrack and a couple of numbers even performed by the actors themselves, this film shows how each person in the relationship might have different goals, but with admiration and passion they try and keep it together.

The Bounty Hunter [2010]:

A divorced couple find themselves in a game of cat and mouse; sometimes with each other, sometimes with the law and sometimes with crooks. Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston are the attractive protagonists who use their stored knowledge of each other’s habits to work to their advantage. The two get caught up in their own romantic history in the process as problems ensue. An accent for the ladies, Aniston for the guys, and some action make this a crowd-pleaser.

Casablanca [1942]:

Ranked No. 1 on the American Film Institute’s 100 Years…100 Passions list, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman’s tale of love in World War II still tugs many a heartstring. The black-and-white romantic drama, “Casablanca,” shows the hard choice between doing what is right for the one you love and doing what is easy.

Fever Pitch [2005]:

Drew Barrymore comes up again on the list, but this time opposite comic Jimmy Fallon. “Fever Pitch” documents baseball history from the perspective of a workaholic executive and a die-hard Red Sox fan. Barrymore and Fallon’s passion for their jobs and hobbies draw them together and tear them apart, leaving the audience to cheer for their romantic success or just sit back and enjoy the ballgame.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall [2008]/Knocked Up [2007]:

Judd Apatow directs both of these raw comedies while still prevailing with sentimental moments. Jason Segel wrote the screenplay and acts as the main character in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall.” The fan favorite also appears for a minor role in “Knocked Up” as Seth Rogen’s friend and housemate. Both films thrive on shock effect and sexual humor – a perfect combination for a coed college audience.

Love Actually [2003]:

Set in London, this film follows eight different relationships that intertwine for an emotional couple of months set right before the holiday season. Perfect for short attention spans, this is a charming movie about the many different ways people can find love.

The Princess Bride [1987]:

The blend of adventure, romance and comedy make this the best bedtime story ever! Westley and Buttercup must fight their way through obstacles, such as the fire swamp and the ego of Prince Humperdinck, in order to be reunited. This film coins several funny catchphrases, including the popular, “As you wish.”

Summer Catch [2001]:

Featuring Massachusetts’ own Cape Cod baseball league’s Chatham A’s, Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jessica Biel are the perfect image of steamy summer love against a backdrop of America’s favorite pastime. Love and baseball is definitely a winning theme amongst the guys.

Pick up the popcorn and enjoy the movie!

Margaret Clayton can be reached at [email protected]