Loss of top players leaves void for Minutemen at midfield

Jeff Bernstein
Jeff Bernstein

The way Sam Koch’s team played down the stretch last year left a sour taste in the mouth of the 20-year UMass men’s soccer coach.

This sour taste developed even further when his Minutemen failed to register a win in their final four games, finishing 0-2-2 and missing the playoffs by the narrowest of margins.

However, instead of dwelling on the past, Koch made it abundantly clear that he’s prepared to turn the page.

“It was last season, and it’s in the past,” said Koch.

With integral parts of the lineup absent and a new era on the horizon, the Minutemen look to build off their roster strengths to push for the Atlantic 10 tournament.

Forwards

Bryant Craft, last year’s top scorer and 2011 co-caption selection, leads the group of attackers this season.

The senior out of Worcester, Mass., tallied seven goals and dished out two assists en route to a team-high 16 points.

Craft’s 2010 season came as a surprise to Koch and the rest of the Minutemen after he had just a pair of goals in his previous two seasons. A move from midfield to attack was the likely cause for the spike in production.

“He’s really a midfielder that had to play up top because we had no one else that could do it,” said Koch.

Craft reaped the benefits of playing alongside fellow senior forward and elite playmaker Chris Roswess. For the second-straight season, Roswess dished out four assists while juggling playing time at forward and midfield.

Koch may end up using Roswess’ talents exclusively at the midfield position this season, meaning that young forwards Brett Canepa and Connor DeVivo could be given the opportunity to flourish with Craft at their side.

Midfielders

After top stalwarts Ben Arikian and Stuart Amick graduated in the spring, they left a depleted midfield core for the Minutemen.

Arikian made his presence felt in all four seasons, earning awards like A-10 All-Rookie Team, All-Conference Second Team and All-Conference First Team (twice) during his tenure.

“It’s certainly hard replacing one midfielder of the year and then you have Amick who was invited to the national team camp; it’s very hard to replace those guys,” said Koch.

Equally as painful will be the loss of Tyler Cleverdon, who started 16 games last year but will miss the entire 2011 season due to injury.

According to Koch, nothing is set in stone in terms of starting lineups, but both Mike Matlock and Chris Stoker could get a crack at contributing in the middle. Freshmen Robert Sena and Zach Miller may also be thrown into action if necessary.

Despite some massive turnover at the position, Koch is confident that the instability will not hinder his team’s success.

“We’re going to make sure that the losses of the seniors won’t be anywhere near as noticeable,” said Koch.

Defenders

While the midfield lies in disarray, the same cannot be said for the experienced and tough defensive line for the Minutemen.

“I think our back four, our defense, is one of our strengths,” said Koch.

The combination of Chris Gilbert, Dominic Skrajewski and David Key lead a group of defenders that feature a mix of veteran leaders and young budding talent.

Key will play the role of co-captain with Craft. Last season, Key often drifted into the midfield as well as defended tightly in the back, something he looks to continue this season.

Skrajewski has become a staple in the UMass defense over the course of two years, while Gilbert will add depth to the unit.

Koch alluded to sophomore Nigel Negm as someone who “had a good spring” and will presumably see playing time along the back line.

Goalkeepers

The departure of two-year starter Chris Piekos means that three goalkeepers will compete for playing time in the net.

Redshirt senior Shane Curran-Hays, junior Brian Frame and junior Kellen Rauch are the three goalkeepers currently on the roster.

Curran-Hays earned the upper hand in preseason due to his five years of experience and time logged in goal. He played in 10 games in his career and owns a 4-5-1 record. But despite being the only goalkeeper with college game-experience under his belt, his job is far from safe.

“He’s the starting keeper until Brian Frame can take it from him,” said Koch.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at [email protected].