Mixing the Old with the New at Blink-182

Courtesy of Blink182.com

Blink-182 rocked out the Mansfield Comcast Center on Aug. 9 to a crowd begging the band to make this last “forever and ever,” proving that the band that climbed to fame in the late 1990s still can shake a stage a decade and a half later.

Joining Blink-182 was My Chemical Romance (MCR), whose signature dark presence was highlighted immediately upon their entrance beneath an Aragog-sized spider banner backdrop. MCR’s set list touched upon hits from all four of its studio albums, drawing the most enthusiastic head bobs and swaying of bangs from the dancing crowd during the hit “I’m Not Okay (I Promise)” off the band’s 2004 album “Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.”

Blink-182 opened with the 2003 smash hit “Feeling This.” Guitarist Tom DeLonge, bassist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker presented a fierce energy that the crowd was definitely feeling.

Fans on the lawn created makeshift mudslides and proudly displayed their soaked selves.

Blink-182 launched into their new single “Up All Night,” which will appear on the band’s new album “Neighborhoods.” This will be the first original album from the band since 2003’s self-titled project. “Neighborhoods” is slated to be released on Sept. 27.

The adrenaline from the performers on stage infected the audience as fans jumped, danced and moshed to a medley of classic Blink-182 tunes such as 2001’s hit “The Rock Show,” and “What’s My Age Again?” from the 1999 album “Enema of the State.”

Interrupting the frenzy, the boys slowed down the set playing “Down” followed by the haunting “I Miss You.” Following suit, the band moved on to play “Stay Together for the Kids” off of 2001’s “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.”

The darker, slower, more melancholy songs gave way to the upbeat and slightly manic demeanor that they are known for with “Dumpweed.”

The two-hour set ended with a performance of “Josie,” a song that originally appeared on the band’s 1997 release “Dude Ranch,” followed by the songs “Carousel” and “Dammit.” Keeping with the theme of playing the band’s greatest hits, Blink-182 ended its stop in Mansfield with “Family Reunion” from 2000’s “The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show.”

In true Barker-fashion, the talented drummer performed an original solo before the set’s end. The stop was one of many on the 10th annual Honda Civic Tour, which in the past has featured various other artists such as New Found Glory, Paramore, Good Charlotte and Incubus.

This is Blink-182’s second appearance on the Honda Civic Tour, having previously played on the original tour in 2001.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].