S4 League: joy with a side of speed

Courtesy of Reggie Kwok

I couldn’t keep my eyes off this shiny, attractive game.

S4 League is a third person shooter published by Alaplaya and Neowiz Games, and developed by Pentavision. This game runs on a lobby based system. As usual, the objective of most of the game modes are to run forwards and to kill people. This isn’t COD. This is a cyber battleground filled with multitudes of breakable bridges and objects that cause death. The battlefields have an urban feel. Players can run in open areas filled with crates and ramps. At the same time, players can fight in other enclosed areas, such as inside buildings. Some maps are dark and creepy, such as Luna-2, while other maps have more light. These maps are a blast to play on, because the game play is unique.

Death match mode is like the other modes that one would see in a shooter. The goal is to kill a certain amount of players on the enemy team before they reach their number. The only unique aspect is that there is a half time break where players can switch character and rest for a short period of time until the game starts again.

Touchdown mode is one of the most unique game modes out there for video gaming. The idea of the game is to attempt to run with a doll, called a Fumbi, to the enemy’s goal. Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins. Players have access to a variety of guns and melee weapons, which can be used to drive their characters toward goals and to stun other enemies.

This game is like chess. The controls are simple and easy to recognize. Players move with A, W, S, and D buttons and jump with the space bar. Tap W twice, and the character will start to run. The space bar can also be used to jump off of walls and to perform acrobatic tricks. Players click their left mouse button to use a melee weapon. These controls are difficult to master, because characters run, jump, and fly all over the maps. The speed makes aim a little more difficult, since everyone is going faster than normal.

Overall, S4 league is for gamers that want something different from the COD experience, and for those who are comfortable stepping into new territory.

Reggie Kwok can be reached at [email protected]