Settles and Ahern named Co-Players of the Week

Reigning Atlantic 10 Player of the Week Bridget Settles of the Temple field hockey team, once again earned top-player honors.

Of the three goals the Owls scored this week, Settles netted two and assisted on one, including the winning goal at Delaware and the only score in the loss against Drexel. The forward has scored a total of 10 of the Owls’ 15 goals this season.

Hailing from Haddon Township, N.J., the senior has made quite the impression during her college career.

Last year, she was an A-10 First Team selection and was named the team’s Most Valuable Offensive Player, starting in all 21 games.

Co-Player of the Week, Lock Haven’s Leslie Ahern, scored a team-best four goals this week, leading the Lady Eagles to a 2-1 record.

The senior from Getzville, N.Y., started all 22 games for the Lady Eagles in 2010, totaling 15 points, and has begun the 2011 season with a bang.

JMU steps on Spiders

Richmond lost to James Madison 2-1 on Saturday in a game that was a home contest for the Spiders, but hosted by Virginia.

While JMU scored the first goal of the game and entered intermission with a 1-0 lead, Spider’s senior forward Katelin Peterson lofted a shot over the Dukes’ goalkeeper Margo Savage, in the second half to even the score.

After two overtime periods, JMU defeated Richmond 5-3 in a stroke-off, even though Richmond outshot the Dukes, 18-8, for the contest.

Solange Elkallassi can be reached at [email protected].