Strong defense propels La Salle to 9th-straight shutout

Courtesy La Salle Media Relations
Courtesy La Salle Media Relations

Freshman Maryam Huseini scored her first career game-winning goal for the La Salle women’s soccer team, defeating Lehigh 1-0 on Sunday afternoon.

Huseini drove past goalkeeper Ashley Blanks in the 64th minute and easily chipped in her second goal of the season, falling inches below the crossbar.

One goal was all that was needed yet again for the Explorers (8-0-1), as they extended their unbeaten shutout streak to a school-record nine games.

Senior goalkeeper Melissa Sanger did not face much action in the net, as her stellar defense was able to stifle Lehigh to just one shot. Sanger, who utilized a redshirt season in 2010, needs just one more shutout to double her shutout total from her previous three seasons combined (10).

La Salle will take on fellow Philadelphia rival Temple this Friday at 7 p.m. in its home stadium as it begins  inter-conference play.

Offense struggles for SLU

Saint Louis was unable to land any of the four shots it took on Sunday, as Missouri State keeper Jessica Teahan was able to turn away all of them, marking the Bears’ fifth-straight game without a loss.

Meanwhile, the Billikens’ (2-5-2) luck continued to run out as they failed to score for the third straight game, losing 1-0.

In the 63rd minute of play, Missouri State’s Bethany Smith blasted her third goal of the season, with assists from Katelyn Frederickson and Christine Cross.

Despite the recent struggles, the Bears’ lone goal against junior keeper Katie Walsh was just the first goal she had given up in her last three games.

Junior Emily Viviano was able to match the offense of Missouri State with three shots of her own; however, none were able to find the back of the net.

Saint Louis begins conference play this coming Saturday as it faces off at home against Charlotte.

Flyers still soaring

Oakland was fortunate that it even had a chance of beating No. 18 Dayton in their 2-1 loss on Sunday afternoon. The Golden Grizzlies’ net was bombarded throughout the game, as the defense allowed 24 shots to reach the keeper.

Sophomore midfielder Julianne Boyle put Oakland (2-8-0) out in front early in the 17th minute with her first career goal. The Golden Grizzlies were able to keep the lead for another 18 minutes before Flyers freshman Kelsey Smigel dribbled around goalkeeper Anne Berschbach to tie it up.

Just prior to halftime, Smigel continued to shine as she crossed the ball to junior Colleen Williams, who tapped in the game-winner. The goal was Williams’ seventh goal in the 11 games she has appeared in this season.

The second half was scoreless, despite the offensive domination by the Flyers (10-1-0), who outshot Oakland 16-1 in the final 45 minutes of play.

Dayton has a bye week before taking the field again on Oct. 7 at 7 p.m on the home turf of unbeaten La Salle.

Taylor Snow can be reached at [email protected].