Two students hospitalized following College St. altercation

By Collegian News Staff

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

Two University of Massachusetts students sustained non-life threatening injuries after apparently being stabbed during an altercation at a gathering on College Street early Sunday, police said.

The students, whose names have not been released, were privately taken to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton shortly after police responded to the location of the gathering at 2:26 a.m. Sunday. A third person, who is not affiliated with any of the area colleges, was transported to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield with non-life threatening head injuries, Amherst Police Sgt. David Knightly said at a press briefing yesterday.

The incident occurred at a privately rented residence at 167 College St., Knightly said. Around 150 to 200 people were gathered at the residence – which is located in the vicinity of Amherst College – when police arrived, according to Knightly.

Amherst Police, Knightly said, were slated to issue a press release yesterday elaborating on the details of the incident. As of press time, however, no press release had been received by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian.

The incident, though, still remains under investigation, Knightly said. But he would not comment on whether police had any persons of interest related to the altercation.

—    Collegian News Staff