UMass students suffers injury at Meadow St. disturbance

Shaina Miskin/Collegian
Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

A 20-year-old University of Massachusetts student suffered a severe head injury early Saturday morning after he was hit with a bottle during a disturbance in the area of North Pleasant St. and Meadow St,., police said.

The man, whose name has not yet been released by police, is from Westborough. He was taken to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton after the incident and was treated by officials for non-life threatening injuries, Amherst Police Lt. Ron Young said in a release yesterday.

Police are still working to identify the person who committed the assault, Young noted.

The crime took place in an area near a home at 121 Meadow St. where a large contingent of more than 1,000 people gathered late Friday night and early Saturday, Young said in the release.

Young also noted in the statement that attendees at the gathering initially resisted intervention by officers who responded to the scene and attempted to throw bottles at them. None of the police officials, he said in the release, were harmed.

“They had protective helmets on,” Young said of the responding officers in a brief phone interview yesterday.

There were, though, a few arrests in the area of the gathering, Young added.

In addition to the incident at the large gathering, police arrested 68 people for various crimes over the weekend, Young said in the release.

-Collegian News Staff