Minutemen look to avenge last year’s series against BC on Saturday

The Massachusetts hockey team had its fair share of troubles against Boston College last year.

The Eagles, who are ranked No. 1 in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll and No. 2 in the USCHO poll, will welcome the Minutemen to Chestnut Hill on Friday for their first matchup of the season.

UMass (1-1-1, 0-1-1 HEA) lost all five contests against Boston College last year, including the final two which knocked the Minutemen out of the Hockey East Quarterfinals.

The best chance for the Minutemen to defeat their conference foes last year came during a home-and-home double header late last February. On Feb. 25, UMass lost a 4-3 decision at home before losing a 2-1 decision the following day in Chestnut Hill.

“I thought the difference last year was maturity,” said UMass coach Don Cahoon. “I thought we did a better job of managing their weapons, especially in those couple of games, but we would make a dicey play which would end up being the difference. Hopefully we’re a year older, a year wiser [and] much more prepared to manage our game a little bit better than we did last year.”

Although it’s early, the Minutemen seemed to have resolved some of their scoring problems which were so prevalent when they went 0-9-3 in their last 12 games. In three games this year, UMass has scored 12 goals, a vast improvement on last year’s scoring average of 2.5 goals per game.

As expected, the bulk of the scoring has come from the Minutemen’s top scorers last year: senior forwards T.J. Syner and Danny Hobbs and sophomore forward Michael Pereira. Syner has a team-leading 7 points (one goal, six assists) while Hobbs and Pereira each have five points (three goals, two assists).

The trio has skated many shifts together so far, but Cahoon plans on separating them against the Eagles and other tough teams so the Minutemen can have a more balanced attack.

“[BC] can shut that line down and [it becomes] more difficult to get that offense you’re looking for,” Cahoon said. “That line will play together I can assure you, but it might not be an every shift type of thing.”

While their offensive production has been undeniable, Cahoon wants them to become better two-way players.

“I’m really pleased with [those three],” said Cahoon. “Offensively they’ve been terrific. They’ve all factored into goals, and some of their goals have been absolutely textbook, beautiful, beautiful plays so you can’t dispute that [but] we need to get those guys to not only play as well as they are with the puck but to be absolutely terrific without the puck as well.”

It is unclear as to who will start in net for the Minutemen, as sophomore goalie Jeff Teglia and freshman goalie Kevin Boyle continue their battle for the starting job.

Boyle has started all three games, posting an .851 save percentage and a 4.11 goals-against average. However, Teglia replaced him during UMass’ 6-4 loss to Providence on Sunday, making eight saves without allowing a goal.

Starting in goal for BC will be Parker Milner, who has an .891 save percentage and a 2.35 GAA. Milner is coming off a career-game, registering a career-high 39 saves in the Eagles’ 5-1 win against New Hampshire on Saturday.

In three games, BC has outscored its opponents, 13-8, and has six players with at least two points.

“They’ve been a great team for a number of years now and they have firepower which is the difference in most of the games they play,” said Cahoon.

“Obviously BC has some pretty flashy guys that can get the puck in the net but it’s mainly just protect the net and [clear] everything out,” added Pereira. “When you have a lead and it’s late in the game, just make simple plays. Simple is safe and safe is good.”

Steve Levine can be reached at [email protected].