BC splits pair, Providence beats BU, UMass, Merrimack holds off Army

No. 1 Boston College had an up and down weekend as it dropped its home opener to No. 3 Denver, but was able to salvage a win on the road against No. 15 New Hampshire.

The Eagles were coming off of an impressive first weekend of play at The Icebreaker Invitational with wins against Michigan State and then-No. 3 North Dakota. The wins skyrocketed them up the rankings to the No. 1 slot.

BC’s match against Denver was played before a sellout crowd in the Eagles’ home opener at Kelley Rink. The fans would all go home disappointed, however, as BC lost, 4-2.

The game was close throughout, but Denver sealed the game with a late empty-netter.

Saturday was a different story for the Eagles, as BC trounced UNH, 5-1. BC goaltender Parker Milner made 39 saves and the Eagles used five different goal scorers in the affair.

BC will play a pair this weekend as they return home this Friday to face Massachusetts and then hit the road to face Northeastern.

Providence has a big weekend, beats BU, UMass

Providence College opened up its 2011-2012 campaign with an impressive weekend, defeating No. 7 Boston University and Massachusetts.

The Friars came out guns blazing against BU in their season and home opener on Friday night with three unanswered goals in the first period.

The Terriers seemed to refuse the idea of an upset, as they scored three-straight goals to tie the game.

Just as it appeared BU was taking command of the game, a costly penalty by the Terriers put PC on the power play and Myles Harvey put the Friars up for good. A goal added a few minutes later put the Friars up, 5-3, the game’s final score.

The Friars then took on Massachusetts the following night, ultimately claiming a 6-4 victory in which the second period saw three goals scored from each team.

Providence will try to add to its momentum as hosts Minnesota Duluth for a pair of non-conference bouts this weekend.

Merrimack picks up non-conference win

No. 13 Merrimack was given a scare on Saturday night against winless Army, but pulled out a 3-2 victory to remain undefeated.

The victory came in front of a sellout crowd of 2,489 in the Warriors’ home opener at Lawler Arena.

The Black Knights scored first on a power play goal by Andy Starczewski halfway through the first period. Merrimack would respond two minutes before the half on a goal by captain Karl Stollery.

The second period was all Warriors. Merrimack had three power plays and outshot Army, 19-2, but was unable to score. Black Knight goalie Rob Tadazak had 18 of his 37 saves in the period.

The Warriors were finally able to put one in the net early in the third on a power play goal by Ryan Flanigan. Merrimack would make it 3-1 on the game-winning goal by John Heffermen and the Warriors seemed to finally have the game in hand.

However, Army responded just 24 seconds later on a Mike Henderson goal to make it a 3-2 game.

The Black Knights had their chances the rest of the way but the Warriors held on for the victory.

Merrimack will remain at home this weekend with a pair of games against Northeastern and Connecticut.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at [email protected].