Charlotte tops Duquesne, Owls win

Two days after Charlotte’s Guiseppe Gentile’s hat trick performance against St. Bonaventure, the standout freshman scored yet again to give the 49ers a 1-0 victory over Duquesne on Sunday afternoon.

It was a very defensive contest for both No. 15 Charlotte (10-2-1, 3-0-1 A-10) and the Dukes (3-7-2, 0-2-1 A-10), as there was no scoring through the first 80 minutes of the match.

In the 81st minute, Gentile received a pass from Aaron Weldon and booted the ball into the back of the net from the eight-yard mark to propel the 49ers to their 10th win in the Atlantic 10. The goal was Gentile’s sixth in his last four contests, earned him A-10 Player of the Week honors, as well as the National Soccer Player of the Week.

49ers goaltender Klay Davis went nearly unscathed in the game, only having to put his hands on two balls to record his fifth shutout of the campaign.

On the other hand, Duquesne’s keeper, Colin Thorp, had his hands full and was lucky to pull away from the game giving up just one goal. He faced two scoring chances in the first three minutes, but he was able to stand his ground and keep the score at zero for the majority of the game.

With the top record in the A-10, Charlotte will travel to Philadelphia on Friday to face La Salle, who is undefeated in the A-10 as well.

Owls rip Hawks

Saint Joseph’s losing woes continued at home against Temple, as it lost 2-0 and dropped its eighth consecutive game on Saturday evening.

After losing a heartbreaker to Richmond in double-overtime the previous week, the Hawks (1-10-0, 0-3-0 A-10) were determined to win their first A-10 contest of the year. However, the Hawks were no contest for the Owls (6-6-0, 2-1-0 A-10), who outshot them 23-5.

The scoring occurred early and late for Temple, but there was not much action in between. In the eighth minute, senior Tyler Witmer fed the ball to sophomore Vaughn Spurrier who made the score 1-0. Spurrier out-shot the entire Hawks team with six on the game.

There was no scoring until the 88th minute when Spurrier returned the favor and found Witmer, who delivered the ball to the back of the net and make the score, 2-0. The goal gave Witmer 11 points on the year, which is the most on the team.

Saint Joseph’s goalkeeper Andrew D’Ottavi was kept busy all game recording seven saves. Meanwhile, Owl freshman Bobby Rosato saved two balls and recorded his third shutout of the season.

The Hawks will have as good a chance as ever to end their long streak Friday night as they will host Dayton, who has the most losses in the A-10 with 11.

Rams defeat Rams

Fordham won its fourth game out of the past five, as it edged out Rhode Island 2-1 Sunday afternoon.

In the 15th minute, sophomore defender Casper Gimand scored his first collegiate goal on a penalty kick, giving the Rams (7-5-1, 3-1-0 A-10) a 1-0 lead over URI.

Their lead was erased in the 30th minute when Rhode Island midfielder Joey Haught found the back of the net on another penalty kick, giving him three goals on the year, and tying up the game 1-1. Altogether, there were 23 fouls between the two Ram teams.

The ball went back and forth for nearly the remainder of the game until Fordham goaltender Ryan Meara punted the ball to sophomore defender Taylor Gulbins, who headed in the game-winner with less than five minutes remaining, which went into the record books as his first collegiate goal as well.

The two teams were nearly even in shots, however Meara outplayed URI keeper Peyton Warwick. Meara saved eight shots while Warwick was only able to save as many goals as he gave up.

Fordham will play the third of its five-game-homestand Friday night, when they host Saint Louis at 7 p.m. (4-7-1, 2-2-0 A-10).

Taylor Snow can be reached at [email protected].