Concert Fashion: Anything But Boring

Courtesy of Jessica Klein

College students everywhere are dishing out $50 or more to rock their heads back and forth, jump up and down, and listen to electric house, trance, and techno music. With concerts like deadmau5, Tiesto, and Afrojack, it takes more than just the performers and light shows to set the vibe, it’s all about the fashion.

Lets start with the colors. It doesn’t matter what you have on, as long as it incorporates ridiculous amounts of neon. The rules of fashion etiquette are thrown out the window. You could wear anything from high socks that go up higher than your eyeballs, to sports bras that have awkward slits in them, but as long as they are neon pink, green, yellow, orange or turquoise, you’re good to go.

Then we have the sunglasses. Even though most of these concerts are indoors and at night with minimal lighting, sunglasses are imperative. You can’t just wear any pair of sunglasses though. The goal of house and techno concert fashion is to stand out. If they aren’t neon that’s okay. They can be any exciting color, or even have flashy lights attached to them.

Does anyone remember wearing fanny packs as a child? That’s okay if you don’t, because neither do I. I can, however, recall seeing my mother sporting one. The fanny pack is back and bigger than ever. Wearing a fanny pack is a must have for ladies when attending these concerts. It makes carrying around all you’re goodies much easier, especially while dancing for hours, and possibly being tossed up in the air while crowd surfing. Once again, a bright or neon color is most desirable.

Lastly, we have the rainbow or bright colored tutu (otherwise known as a ballerina skirt). This is usually worn by the absolutely extreme techno-ragers who go all out. The tutu is over-the-top and outrageous, which is why it’s so fun to wear!

From flashy sunglasses to ludicrous tutus, anyone can find a piece of craziness to accessorize themselves with for the next house/techno concert, which happens to be Afrojack on October 25…Get your neon ready!

Jessica Klein can be reached for comment at [email protected]