Dollar$ and Sense: Out of State

Editor’s Note: The following appears as part of a series, Dollar$ and Sense, featuring reports from the class of Journalism 301, taught by UMass journalism department lecturer and internship coordinator B.J. Roche.

Pei-Han Chou comes from New Jersey, but like her sister before her, she chose to attend the University of Massachusetts instead of Rutgers, the main public university in her home state. As a senior majoring in Chinese, Chou has enjoyed her four years here, and she is happy she traveled out of state to college, even though it costs her a bit more for education.

Matt Modica/Collegian
Matt Modica/Collegian

“I think what grabbed my attention the most about UMass was the close community,” said Chou. “Coming from New Jersey, I like living in a suburban town. At UMass, everyone knows each other and helps each other out.”

Like Chou, an increasing number of out-of-state students attend UMass each year and, because of this, the University seemingly benefits in some aspects.

Chou is one of around 4,000 out-of-state students to attend UMass, according to statistics.  And the profile of UMass is growing around the country, and in-state students are getting to know people from all over.

“Students can look around their classrooms and know that their fellow classmates are from all over the country,” said University spokesman Ed Blaguszewski, who’s the executive director of news and media relations at UMass.  “This broadens education.”

The revenue from out-of-state students also supports the betterment of the University’s entire population, added Blaguszewski. According to an article in The Republican of Springfield, UMass received $4.2 million in revenue from more than 300 new out-of-state students in 2010. Under the tuition retention program, out-of-state tuition and curriculum fees remain at the University level, whereas tuition from in-state students goes directly to the state. However, the fees that students pay go right to the University, regardless of in-state or out-of-state status.

The increase in out-of-state students will help pay for additional faculty members, advisors and other academic support staff, noted Blaguszewski.

UMass has set goals to increase the number of out-of-state students, he said. In 2009, 19 percent of the UMass population consisted of out-of-state students. That percentage has increased to 21 percent this year.

“We expect that trend to continue for the immediate future,” said Blaguszewski.

UMass calls for this higher demand for out-of-state student enrollment because of the decline in the state’s financial support. As a percentage of the overall operating budget, the amount of state support has declined by about half, said Blaguszewski. However, in actual dollars, the decline is about $37 million since 2001, compared to an initial base of $232 million, he said.

Like Chou. Madelaine Hicks, a junior who’s also from New Jersey, decided to come to UMass. She said she was attracted to the school because wanted to attend a big state university.

“I wanted to experience something new and travel outside my home state,” said Hicks.

Hicks is glad to be a part of the growing out-of-state student population at UMass, but noted that she thinks there should be even more diversity.

“I think it is important that the University consists of a population of people coming from all different parts of the world,” said Hicks

To recruit out-of-state students like Chou and Hicks, the admissions offices work with guidance counselors throughout the country to let high school students know about the many opportunities offered at UMass, said Blaguszewski. Admissions staff visits many high schools and college fairs to attract out-of-state residents, he said.

Elizabeth Sinclair can be reached at [email protected]