UMass’ first scheduled dual-match rained out

Alex Mojcher/Collegian
Alex Mojcher/Collegian

The Massachusetts tennis team’s scheduled weekend dual-match against Providence was rained out with no determined rescheduled date.

The match was initially scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Mullins Center courts. Due to inclement weather, however, the match was bumped to Sunday at 10:30 a.m. as officials hoped that they could somehow get the match resolved over the weekend.

This task turned out to be futile, as Mother Nature seemed to have alternative plans. The rain continued Sunday and the match was then officially postponed to a later date yet to be determined. It is near impossible and unsafe for tennis to be played on wet courts so the match was postponed for safety reasons.

The Minutewomen were looking forward to their opening home dual-match against the Friars. UMass is coming off two strong performances from the previous two weekends in the Harvard Fall Classic and the Eastern Collegiate Invitational, led by undefeated Jessica Podlofsky and by Chanel Glasper.

The Minutewomen will now look towards their matchup against Connecticut on Wednesday at 2 p.m. in what will now be their dual-match home opener. UMass will try to translate its successs in the preliminary tournaments into its dual-match play.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at [email protected].