Women’s soccer unbeaten streak reaches 8 games before loss to La Salle

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team pulled off a split this weekend, defeating Atlantic 10 opponents Fordham 2-0 on a messy, wet Rudd Field Friday afternoon and falling to undefeated La Salle 3-2 in overtime on Sunday afternoon.

The Minutewomen (9-3-2, 3-1-1 A-10) took undefeated La Salle (13-0-1, 5-0-0 A-10) to the brink in front of a lively crowd. UMass capitalized on a late own goal at the hands of the Explorers and extended the game into overtime. La Salle scored five minutes into the first overtime on a header by Renee Washington, ending the game and any hopes of an upset.

UMass coach Ed Matz said that the Minutewomen made too many mistakes against a talented team and were not able to match their intensity.

UMass took the early lead at 12:28 when Moa Mattson dribbled the ball through midfield, cutting past a La Salle defender and delivering a lead pass to freshman Tori Sousa, who chipped the ball over the goalkeeper.

“I was just in the right place in the right time I guess,” said Sousa. “It was a great buildup play, a perfect [pass] from [Moa Mattson] and a good goal. It was a pump-up play, and really the best way to start. I thought that we played really well, and I hope we play them in the [A-10 tournament].”

It was not until 40:26 that La Salle answered when Gabriella Carbone put away a rebound off a corner kick in what was a crowded box.

The Explorers scored quickly in the second half, as Kelsey Haycook dribbled the ball into the box and put away a shot to the right side of the net. The goal was her team leading 12th of the season.

A little over a half hour passed when UMass got the break it needed. Lauren Skesavage delivered a free kick that went off of one of the La Salle players and into the back of the net.

Skesavage said that she thought that after seeing all of the penalties that were going against La Salle that the Minutewomen had to capitalize on one of them, and they were able to do that, albeit on an own goal.

The Minutewomen were outshot by the Explorers, 25-5, and committed 14 fouls to La Salle’s 19.

La Salle coach Paul Royal, critical of the officiating throughout the game on the sideline, was given a red card and ejected from the game during the second half.

Streak reaches 8 games

On Friday, the win against the Rams (8-6-2, 3-2-1 A-10) extended UMass’ unbeaten streak to eight games – its highest point total since 2007.

Matz said that it was a tough day to play due to the rain, but the team battled hard and was fortunate enough to get out to an early lead.

Sousa got the Minutewomen off to the fast start after heading in a cross from Mattsson in the 11th minute. The goal was the first of her career.

Fordham came out for the second half and almost immediately knotted the game at one with a couple of opportunities via a corner kick. Junior Jess Howe kept the Rams off of the scoreboard by clearing a ball off the foot of Maria Lorena Canicatti.

Not too much later, senior co-captain Meghan Collins put the Minutewomen up 2-0 when she tapped in a goal after grabbing a loose ball at 53:25.

Emily Cota continued her winning ways in net while collecting her sixth shutout of the season, turning away six shots.

The win helped the Minutewomen secure their highest win total since 2007 when they went 9-6-2.

UMass will play its next two games at Rudd Field in another Friday, Sunday lineup. The Minutewomen will host Duquesne at 4 p.m. on Friday and St. Bonaventure at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at [email protected].