Caret officially inaugurated

UMass President's Office
UMass President's Office

Though he’d been on the job since the beginning of July, Robert Caret hadn’t been formally inaugurated as the president of the University of Massachusetts – until yesterday.

Caret, 64, who took over the reins of the five-campus UMass system as the school’s 26th president on July 1, was officially ushered into his post in front of about 400 people during a ceremony yesterday afternoon at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston, according to a University release.

During an address to those in attendance at the ceremony, Caret – the former president of Towson University in Maryland and San Jose State University in California – noted that education has the power to markedly change lives, the release stated.

“My own life vividly illustrates the transformative power of education,” said Caret, according to the release. “In a single generation, you see the son of a man who was never able to go beyond the 8th grade because of his family’s dire economic needs have the chance to serve as president of three major universities. That is because I was able to make the most of the educational opportunities that were presented to me.

“I have worked all of my life in public higher education because I want to make those same opportunities available to all those kids who, right now in North Adams or Fall River or Dorchester or Worcester or Lowell, are dreaming big,” he continued. “Let’s help make those dreams come true.”

Caret, the release stated, also noted that the University system should set and commit itself to high goals for the future.

“Together, we can create a $1 billion endowment that will allow so many students for so many years to dream so big. I want sponsored research to reach $750 million over the next decade … and we can win another Nobel Prize,” he said, referring to a Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine that was won by Craig Mello, who works at the UMass Medical School and also served as the chief marshal of yesterday’s inauguration ceremonies. “We can do this. We are that good.”

And a slew of state and area officials – including Gov. Deval Patrick, D-Mass., Lt. Gov. Tim Murray and Democratic Boston Mayor Thomas Menino – lauded Caret during the ceremony.

“President Caret understands the role the University plays in our Commonwealth’s intellectual and economic success,” said Patrick, according to the release. “Today, we celebrate his new leadership and sharpened vision for the UMass community.”

Caret – who was awarded a chain and medal at yesterday’s ceremony – will head out to the Amherst campus later this week to address the University’s Faculty Senate and participate in forums being hosted by the committee that’s searching for the school’s next chancellor – who will replace Robert Holub when he steps down by the end of July. Caret – along with several area leaders – will also speak Saturday at a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the George N. Parks Minuteman Marching Band Building, which is named for the late director of the school’s marching band.

All of the money used for yesterday’s inauguration ceremony was privately donated, according to the release.

Collegian News Staff