Chelsea struggles continue, while City maintains lead at the top

Courtesy of Arsenal Football Club

The final Saturday in British Summer time saw a flurry of goals in the Premier League, and the ball didn’t find the back of the net as frequently anywhere else than it did in West London, where Arsenal’s Robin van Persie grabbed himself a hat-trick.

Chelsea held two leads over Arsenal, through goals by Englishmen Frank Lampard, and John Terry. Arsenal’s van Persie scored to equalize the first of Chelsea’s tallies after unselfish play from Gervinho, while new Gunner Andre Santos brought Arsenal back even four minutes after the half. Theo Walcott gave Arsenal the 3-2 lead, soon after. The torrid defensive day was far from over, however.

With the game entering its last few minutes, Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata scored a screamer from 25 yards out. Poor clearing in Arsenal’s half led to the change in possession which eventually found its way to Mata. He dribbled comfortably into the middle before blasting it past Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny.

With a sole point in sight for Chelsea, on their worst of defensive days, the already in progress implosion continued as Florent Malouda’s backpass to John Terry caused the defender to slip, which left van Persie free to score his second goal. As the loss approached, van Persie finished his hat trick, as he blasted a shot past Petr Cech.

Arsenal’s early season struggles aren’t completely behind them, though this win means they are on the right track again. On the other hand, Chelsea’s second loss in as many weeks to a London neighbor doesn’t bode well for their title challenge.

Out in Manchester, City saw off a feisty Wolves team for the second time in the week, after smashing five past them in their Carling Cup clash on Wednesday. Striker Edin Dzeko slotted home the first for the home side in the fifty-second minute. Fifteen minutes later, a fumbled save by Wolves keeper Wayne Hennessey, off a David Silva shot, left Aleksander Kolarov open to finish the second.

In the seventy-fifth minute, City defender and captain Vincent Kompany was adjudged to be the final defender, as he brought down Wolves’ Kevin Doyle, and was given a red card. Stephen Hunt then converted the associated penalty. However, in the ninetieth minute, Adam Johnson’s curling shot put the game to bed, and City maintained their five point lead.

City’s red rivals got back to their winning ways against Everton in Liverpool, after Javier Hernandez converted the lone goal of the contest. After 19 minutes, Hernandez collected a Patrice Evra cross in front of American Tim Howard, and put United in front for good.

Everton saw the majority of possession in the match, but were unable to convert their two best chances produced by Leighton Baines, and Jack Rodwell. Baines’ shot hit the woodwork, while United shot-stopper made a great save against Rodwell.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached for comment at [email protected].