Seasonal holiday cocktails minimize end of semester woes

Courtesy of MCT

‘Tis the season to be jolly, and probably even drunk for over a month without homework and classes to worry about.

Although break isn’t here just yet, that doesn’t mean students can’t slurp on some tasty drinks to help them study in a more cheerful manner. Get in the seasonal spirit – quite literally – and spread some holiday happiness with these delectable cocktails. Invite friends, classmates, family members and even professors to share for a festively good time!

Cuppa Good Cheer

What better way to kick off the holiday season than with a warm, frothy beverage that is sure to bring a smile to even the iciest of faces? Mix one and one-half ounces of  SKYY Infusions Cherry with one-half an ounce of white crème de cacao. Top with hot chocolate and half and half to taste. Decorate this treat with whipped cream, red sprinkles and a cherry to serve to family and friends!

Mele Kalikimaka Martini

Craving a tropical holiday filled with surfing, warm beaches and scorching sun? This Hawaiian cocktail is guaranteed to imitate the tranquil island setting. Mix one and one-half ounces of SKYY Infusions Pineapple with three ounces of eggnog and a splash of coconut cream into a tall glass. Sprinkle nutmeg and cinnamon on top of the concoction for a sweet kick.

Holiday Cheer

This beverage is perfect for parties, as it proves to be easy to make in large quantities for a relatively cheap price. Mix champagne and ice-cold cranberry juice in a glass or a punch bowl, depending on the greatness of the occasion. Garnish with lime wedges for decoration. Serve cold for a bubbly beverage!

Ginger Snap

Caution: only try this delicious and deadly drink on a night with no homework or studying on the agenda. Blend three-quarters of an ounce of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum with one-half ounce of ginger flavored brandy. Add four ounces of eggnog and a ginger snap cookie for a festive indulgence that will sooth taste buds and ease any final exam woes.

Peppermint Twist

Rip open the nearest box of candy canes to use as a chaser for this potent take on the classic holiday minty hot chocolate. Shake together one ounce of Peppermint Schnapps, one ounce of Kahlua, one ounce of Brown Crème de Cacao and ice. Pour into a cocktail glass for a courageous combination.

Gelt Martini

To those celebrating Hanukkah this winter, this shiny drink will ensure eight crazy nights. Simply mix potato-based vodka with Goldschlager to create a cocktail complete with golden, sparkly flakes. For added texture and taste, rim the glass with chocolate powder. Take a few sips, wash it down with chocolate gelt and spin the dreidel!

Candy Cane

For a delicious dessert to end a night of good fun, mix together three-quarters of an ounce of SKYY Berry vodka, three-quarters of an ounce of Peppermint Schnapps and three quarters of white Crème de Cacao. Add one-quarter of an ounce grenadine, some half and half, then top with soda water. For added taste and a fancy look, rim the glass with crushed candy canes.

Grinch

Who doesn’t love to watch this cartoon classic around the holidays? Unlike the Grinch’s initial heartless personality, this green drink is sweet, not sour. Mix two ounces of Midori, a melon-flavored liqueur, one ounce of lemon juice and one ounce of simple syrup. Garnish with a maraschino cherry and stir with a candy cane for a colorful Christmas concoction that will grow a large heart for any holiday hater.

Caroling Wine

The holidays aren’t just about giving, family, friends and hard liquor. Gear up to caroling around campus by combining one cup of water, one cup of brown sugar, two cups of pineapple juice, and one cup of orange juice in a saucepan. Add some cloves, berries, cinnamon and orange rinds to the mixture. Boil the mix and then simmer. As the concoction simmers, add in four cups of red wine. Serve while warm and garnish with additional cinnamon.

Peppermint Eggnog Punch

For a creamy, cool concoction mix together all types of different holiday flavors for a festive treat that will please all types of taste buds – until the next morning. Stir peppermint ice cream in a large bowl until it softens. Slowly combine one quart of eggnog and one cup of rum, stirring frequently. Add in ginger ale to taste. Dip each glass in the extra peppermint ice cream for a chilly garnish, and mix in a candy cane for extra cool taste.

After trying any one or all of these drinks, final exam stress and sleepless nights in the library should be far from any student’s mind. Cheers to straight A grades and happy holidays!

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].