UMass blows out BC, 82-46, off to 4-0 start

Also see a highlight reel of the game.

CHESTNUT HILL – Boston College built an early lead, but a balanced attack from the Massachusetts men’s basketball team overpowered the Eagles as the Minutemen won decisively, 82-46, last night at Conte Forum.

The win improves UMass’ record to 4-0 and is its first victory over its intrastate rival since 2007.

“Our guys held true,” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg. “We continued to keep the tempo and really got after them defensively. Our age and experience really took over.”

A pair of 3-pointers from Ryan Anderson and seven free throws from Patrick Heckmann lifted BC to an early 18-12 advantage. But the Minutemen forced the issue defensively, took over the game on their way to a 25-8 run to close the half and the Eagles never recovered.

It was a truly a team effort for UMass, as it spread the wealth and kept the game balanced offensively.

Chaz Williams led the way with 16 points, while Freddie Riley followed with 14 points and Jesse Morgan and Cady Lalanne each scored 11. Every Minutemen player that saw minutes – with the exception of Andrew McCarthy – scored at least a point in the rout of the Eagles.

The 3-point shooting display was once again on, especially early as the Minutemen converted 5-for-16 in the first half and 10-for-31 for the game.

While Kellogg was worried about another barrage of 3-pointers early that weren’t hitting, the offense eventually settled down and got into a rhythm that he was pleased to watch.

“It kicked in and we made some shots and really kept the pressure on them,” said Kellogg. “I think the gameplan came through pretty strong tonight.”

The gameplan particularly came through for Riley. After starting the season relatively cold shooting the ball, he came into his own against BC with 14 points on 6-for-11 shooting. His own mini 5-0 run – a jumper followed by a 3-pointer in transition – ignited an even larger 15-0 run that put the nail in the coffin.

“I think it was big for him and for the team,” said Kellogg. “He made five-straight points for us that I thought separated the game. And it was nice that it was him and not somebody else. I thought the play where Javorn got Freddie going with that 3-point shot was one of the best plays of the year.”

Defensively, the UMass press was bothersome to the Eagles as they committed 23 turnovers that gave the Minutemen easy transition buckets, especially late in the game.

Heckmann returned from missing BC’s Friday contest against Holy Cross with a sprained ankle, but was neutralized for the most part by the Minutemen’s strong defense.

The freshman – who scored 19 points in his college debut against New Hampshire – was held to a team-high 11 points, making one field goal and earning the rest of his points via the free throw stripe.

For the Eagles, Matt Humphrey contributed 10 points with three 3-pointers and Anderson put in eight points for an offense that was anemic after its initial spurt and only generated 20 points in the second half against a very active UMass defense.

Up next for the Minutemen is a trip to the Bahamas to compete in the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament later this week.

They will put their undefeated record on the line against No. 20 Florida State on Thanksgiving Day in the first round of the tournament – which will be televised on VERSUS – before playing either Harvard or Utah on Friday and another game on Saturday.

UMass will then return from its first road trip of the year when it hosts Towson at the Mullins Center next Wednesday.
Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.