Christmas Songs to Get You in the Spirit

Courtesy of StandardOfTheDay.blogspot.com

It’s December! The holiday season is officially upon us, which only means one thing: Christmas music. I’ve complied a list of my personal favorites (and trust me, loving essentially every song, it was very difficult) If you’re not feeling the holiday cheer, this music should instantly put you in the mood and maybe even bring back some nice memories. Take a much deserved break from studying and enjoy!

1. The Christmas Song – Nat “King” Cole

This song is Christmas to me. The classic has been covered by hundreds of artists, but nothing will ever top Nat’s lovely rendition.

2. Baby It’s Cold Outside – Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone

You might recognize this flirty tune from the very popular Elf, in which Zooey actually stars. I love the twist these two put on this song and Zooey’s voice is perfect. If you’re loving her voice like I am, check out the new Christmas album she just released with M. Ward in their two-man band, She and Him.

3. Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow – Dean Martin

This song is painfully relevant right now, as the weather is unseasonably warm and making for a lot of rain as opposed to snow. Hopefully we’ll see some soon!

4. Sleigh Ride – The Ronnettes

I just really enjoy this song. It’s fun.

5. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Andy Williams

This always seems to come on the radio at the worst times, like when I’m circling the mall parking lot for the one-hundredth time, very close to flipping off the elderly woman that just stole my parking spot (don’t worry I would never). All that aside though, Andy Williams speaks the truth.

6. Jingle Bell Rock – Bobby Helms

I have sang this song so many times in elementary and middle school choirs (bells included) and still have yet to get sick of it.

7. Christmas Time is Here – Vince Guaraldi Trio

Who doesn’t love Charlie Brown? Or this song for that matter? All I can think about is happiness when I hear it.

8.  Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee

This is simply a feel-good, Christmas tune that I’ve always loved. Also makes me want to “rock around my Christmas tree,” whatever that even means.

9. Santa Clause is Coming to Town – Bruce Springsteen

I will always have a soft spot for Bruce since he hails from the same amazing state as myself, New Jersey. His version of “Santa Clause is Coming to Town” is the best, in my opinion.

10. Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt

Nothing beats the original. Plus even after all the time that has passed since Eartha Kitt first sang this, I’m pretty sure I still want all the gifts she asks for…

11. All I Want for Christmas is You – Mariah Carey

I think it’s safe to say that every girl loves this song. I still squeal like a 13-year-old girl when I hear it.

12. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Michael Buble

If you love Christmas music and don’t mind having it show up on your shuffle in July, add Michael Buble’s new Christmas album to your iTunes immediately. He does every song justice and I just love his timeless voice.

13. Carol of the Bells – Trans Siberian Orchestra

If this isn’t the most bad-ass Christmas song out there, I don’t know what is. Trans Siberian Orchestra really kills it with this one.

14. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays – *N SYNC

This is just really hysterical to me. I remember in the 3rd grade I was chosen to supply the music for our class Christmas party and the *N SYNC Christmas album was the gem that I decided to bring in. Such a hit.

15. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra

I think that this speaks for itself.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Kim Giordano can be reached for comment at [email protected].