The NHL’s Five Best Teams…So Far

Courtesy of Zimbio

At roughly the quarter-pole of the season, the NHL is seeing its contenders and pretenders being sifted out. What follows is what I believe to be the five best teams thus far in 2011.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins – This one is easy. The Penguins lead the league in points (32) without the service of the world’s greatest player for 20 of their 25 games. The prospect of rolling out Crosby, Malkin, and Staal has to have Pittsburgh fans salivating. This team will undoubtedly make a deep run in the Eastern Conference Playoffs.
2. Boston Bruins – The defending champs have gone 11-0-1 since their 3-7 start, and lead the league in even-strength and total goal differential (plus-28). The continuation of Tim Thomas’ sublime play, coupled with the emergence of second year player Tyler Seguin, has the Bruins in top form as the grind of the season begins to take its toll.
3. Chicago Blackhawks – The Western Conference co-leaders have seemingly regained their Cup form of 2010. After losing key cogs to trades and free agency two years ago, the Hawks have rebuilt around their cornerstones; Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, and Duncan Keith. They will go as far as goaltender Corey Crawford will take them.
4. Toronto Maple Leafs – Not even GM Brian Burke could have predicted this start to the season. The Maple Leafs come to Wednesday night’s matchup with the Bruins atop the Northeast division with 30 points, 21 coming without starting goalie James Reimer out with a head injury. Phil Kessel leads the league in goals (16) and points (31), while line-mate Joffrey Lupul comes in third with 29. It will be interesting to see if this team has staying power. I have my doubts.
5. Detroit Red Wings – At the time of writing, the Wings have the same amount of games played and points as the Bruins, and they beat them in Boston. The one thing that holds them back is their wild inconsistency. They started the year off with five wins, proceeded to lose their next six, then rattled off win streaks of four and five in the next eleven games. Bizarre.

Mark Bruso can be reached for comment at [email protected].