SGA plans to find its voice

Following last semester’s meetings and protests over a lack of student input on recent Residence Life changes, the Student Government Association at the University of Massachusetts looks to continue its push to have a bigger say in the administration’s decision-making this semester.

Also during the spring 2012 semester, the SGA will allocate $2.1 million to Registered Student Organizations, try to take steps toward building a new Student Union and elect the university’s  first SGA vice president, in addition to holding the spring elections of SGA president and student trustee.

The last SGA meeting of the fall semester was attended by students and senators upset by the firing of 54 peer mentors and 19 apartment living advisors via e-mail after Thanksgiving break. Some students voiced their frustrations and listened to an explanation from Eddie Hull, executive director of housing and residence life, while others in the back of the room held signs in silent protest. Hull explained the reasons behind the changes and apologized for the impersonal firing method.

Among the frustrated students was SGA President Yevin Roh, who vowed to bring the fight for student power into the spring semester.

“The events of last semester have taught me that the University of Massachusetts suffers from a selective deafness, and it is our continuing goal to restore hearing to the deaf ear turned towards students, or turn the entire head of the administration itself,” wrote Roh in an email interview over winter break.

Roh said that in order to gain the administration’s attention, the SGA must lead the student body in being both reactionary, through protesting unwanted changes, and progressive, bringing changes to the table themselves.

As well as Residence Life changes, Roh argued against cutbacks to University Health Services and the Student Health Insurance Plan and for changes to the Student Code of Conduct sections dealing with bullying and sexual misconduct.

Zachary Broughton, SGA senator and the lone undergraduate student voice on the committee to select a new chancellor said that the SGA’s purpose is to make sure UMass considers student input.

“The Board of Trustees requires that students are brought to the table and that is what the SGA will make sure happens this semester,” said Broughton. “We will continue to demand answers from Mr. Hull and Vice Chancellor [Jean] Kim about the recent and continuous changes to the housing department.”

Broughton said that the SGA will make clear to the administration that they are there to serve students and to use their input. He also said that the SGA will use the Wellman Document, a federal document supporting student government, as well as the Trustee-approved SGA bylaws as legal leverage.

“We will make it clear that any action taken without direct, honest, and actual student input is a violation of federal law and is unacceptable especially for the housing department, which is funded completely by students,” said Broughton. “Every person that works for this school is a public servant to the people of Massachusetts and the students who pay tuition here. They work for us and it is time they realize this concept.”

With his position on the new chancellor search committee, Broughton said that finding a chancellor who will use student input and bridge the gap between students and administration is most important.

In addition to advocating for an increased student voice in UMass decision-making, the SGA also has over $2.1 million to allocate to RSOs, a lengthy and tedious process that they hope will be streamlined this year.

Dan Stratford – SGA senator and chairman of the Ways and Means committee, which deals with the budgets of RSOs – said the budget will be the SGA’s “most pressing task” this upcoming semester.

The $2.1 million comes from the Student Activity Trust Fund (SATF), a cache of money doled out to RSOs every year. The SATF is paid for by student fees that every UMass student pays; the SGA raised the fee by three dollars last semester.

Every RSO must make a budget for their foreseen expenses for the upcoming year. These budgets are submitted to the SGA, which then funds part of or the whole budget with discussion for the implications, debate and a $2.1 million ceiling.

Stratford plans to improve the budget and allocation process by creating a budget rubric and change bureaucratic rules to allow for quicker approval of the budgets.

In order to house the funded RSOs, the SGA has begun plans to create a new student union. Although the proposed building is still in its very beginning stages, Southwest Residential Area Senator and chairman of the Student and Academic Affairs Committee Adam Baldarelli said the process has begun.

He explained that there will be “town hall style” meetings to gauge student interest in a new Student Union and various aspects of the proposed building. There will also be a question about student support on the SGA’s spring election ballot.

The ballot and meeting are another effort for the SGA to involve students in an administrative decision.

, “Supporting a ballot referendum this spring will show administration that students are serious and want a new building to support our changing needs,” said Baldarelli.

The new Student Union is planned to have greater space for student businesses, increased storage and meeting areas for RSOs, and study and presentation areas for all students. The proposed building would likely be paid for with a combination of donations and increased student fees similarly to the Recreation Center.

The end of the spring semester will also hold SGA presidential, vice presidential and student trustee elections. This will be the first election for an SGA vice president, a position created last February.

Broughton says he is eager to see who tries to be the first vice president.

“As the author of the motion that created the Office of the Vice-President,” he said. “I am excited to see dedicated, eligible and experienced leaders step up to lead the SGA and to represent the entirety of the student body.”

Sam Hayes can be reached at [email protected]